hello and thank you

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken1036, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chicken1036

chicken1036 New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    I am new to BYC but have been reading posts on this site for months to help prepare for my chickens. I got five hens about a month ago. Unfortunately, one of my girls was attacked by my dog 4 days ago (Friday evening). (The dog is a retriever and jumped a 4 foot fence. I have since made it a 5 foot fence and am not letting the dog out in the yard unless the chickens are locked safely in their coop.) If it weren't for all the posts on this site about caring for dog bites and wounds in general, I would have been lost, and may have lost my hen to infection. Fortunately, she is recovering amazingly well! She is spunky; eating, pooping, and acting normally, despite a large hole in her side/right thigh. There is no sign of infection (no pus, no odor), and I am following advice I found on this site to keep it that way! I am hoping to let her get back to her friends once the wound seals over. Thank you for your help already!

2. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad she is doing well. Welcome to BYC!

3. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Glad your hen is doing well!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope she has a successful recovery

6. neecy911

neecy911 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Chico (No.Cal)
    Hello there, I sure hope she is going to be ok...Accidents happen so hopefully the pup is not in too much trouble...We are going to put our coop inside a dog kennel, which is only 4ft tall. So we will have to put a cover of some sort covering the entire area, as we have a German Shorthair Pointer, and I hate him to think we brought home some toys for him. [​IMG]
    Anyways, I have learned so much from this site, hope you love it as much as I do!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I hope she makes a full recovery.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The recuperative powers of poultry from injuries amazes me. Good luck with her.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by