Hello and what do we have here?:)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by okiemamachick, Jan 13, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hi there I'm new here and I tried to find the intro page but I failed so I'm gonna say hello on here and pick yalls brain on these hens I just got :) what do yall think? There are two black ones of which I was unable to get a good pic of they kept turning their backs to me. I was told these will lay olive green eggs and they are f1? Then the whitish one they called a splash. And the brown one they just called a brown one) lol any ideas on these gals I was told they were hatched this past spring and that they only lay a couple eggs per week because they weren't supplementing any light. I'm used to the big combs of my leg horns so these rose combs look odd to me lol[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You can go to the 'Social' forum, click on 'New Member Introductions' and introduce yourself there. The black hens are probably a cross between EE or Ameraucana and a brown egg layer (Marans) - pictures of all birds are not showing.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - the "F1" birds are what is commonly called an "Olive Egger" (OE) - which as sour explained are created with a blue egg laying breed (Easter Egger, Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Araucana, etc) and a dark brown laying breed such as Marans. F1 refers to the generation they are in the breeding.

To get good pics of your birds you can use bait stations where you put out a particularly desirable treat to get them to hold still and focus on the food and not on you trying to take pictures so they are more likely to hold still.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Oh, and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks guys I accidentally hit post befor I uploaded all the pics I hope that corrects itself because I pushed the back button and added more then hit post again so hopefully it adds more... thanks for your replies! He did say they were part Maran I haven't seen an egg from them yet and we got then Saturday.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chickens dislike change - after being moved to a new environment hens may lay an egg or two (those that were 'in production') and then take a break. It is very likely that your new hens will stop laying for a period of time, but they will eventually resume production.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Were the birds reported to be laying when you purchased them? If so, like sourland said, they are likely just experiencing a brief interruption due to the upheaval of the move.

1 person likes this.
  8. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Here's a few more pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome! Good luck with the new additions.

10. okiemamachick

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    thanks! I'm learning how to work this site lol the mods are probably going "oh no a newbie! "

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by