HELLO AZ ISO Chicks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CryFowl1, Jun 10, 2016.

1. CryFowl1

CryFowl1 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    Black Canyon City, AZ
    Hello out there!

Just moved to Black Canyon City and needing to get some new chicks. We would like a few breeds; Aracuana, Ameracuanas, Copper Maran, and 1 Blue Cochin Bantum :) Pretty tall orderi know but if someone has 1 or more of these we'd like to arrange a pick up.

We had a bit of bad luck in transporting ours home I'm afraid and we lostalmost all of our birds including our very first pair of chickens. Cried and moped around for a good 3 days but i know my Coco and Chocopo forgive us the mishap and would want us to get new chicks.

Also looking for 3 guinea hen females. Pied if possible otherwise any other will do. My boys are lonely. [​IMG]

Okay, hello! As i said, new and trying to establish our starter birds again. I'm sure i will be coming here often for helpful hints like:HOW DO YOU GET GUINEA BACK INTO COOP? and WHAT ORGANIC FEED IS THE BEST FOR LAYING HENS AND WHICH ONE FOR BABY CHICKS?

Since moving our regular feed place is a ways out so we may need to drive a bit to get what we need. Thats ok. If we need to start ordering online, that's fine too.

Looking forward to learning from all you chicken pros out there and gather enough info to have a thriving coop some day.
    Thank you,
    CryFowl :frow

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your bird losses! [​IMG] It is never easy to lose them and well, crying is what we do. [​IMG]

I have never kept Guineas but I have heard they are difficult to get back into the coop. You might do some posting in our Guinea section for more help with that.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

As for the best Organic Feed, there are quite a few of them out there. You might look through our archives and read some on what others have suggested as the best feed, https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=best+organic+feed or post in our Feeding and Watering section as well... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

You are from AZ? Definitely do some chatting with your neighbors in your state thread. They can tell you where all the good stuff is... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

Good luck on all your searches and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

3. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Welcome aboard! Black Canyon City is just up the road from me and a nice place. I live just below Anthem and I usually shop at Western Ranchman which is just south of 37th Ave and Bell I believe. I don't work too far from there and that's why I go there. I do love it there and the staff is really, really great. I don't use organic feed but they have it. I use all Nutrena products and have been happy with the brand. I'm pretty sure there's organic varieties they make as well. Another place here in valley is the Stock Shop which sits at the SE corner of Thunderbird and 67th Ave. Like Western Ranchman, The Stock Shop caries a wide variety of feed and I believe it's mostly Purina. I've never used Purina but I read some good reviews on it. I believe they also have an organic product. Both places also have scratch, treats, and all things chicken related. Both also carry standard breed chicks but I believe The Stock Shop has a bigger selection. Hope that helps a bit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you had a mishap with transporting :hugs TwoCrows has left you some great links to check out and I see ejchrist is close to you and offered some great advice. Wishing you the very best of luck for the future.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You've received very good information from ejchrist and I hope you can put it to good use.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. CryFowl1

CryFowl1 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    Black Canyon City, AZ
    Thank You Two Crows! I'll be sure to take a look at the links. [​IMG]

10. CryFowl1

CryFowl1 Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2016
    Black Canyon City, AZ
    Thank you! Got it all msg'd on my phone to hubby. I usually stay home on runs into town as someone needs to be here for the goats and guineas (who are currently at the neighbors house across the wash!) [​IMG] We left them there last night because by the time we got there they decided to roost on top of their house. figures! Tomorrow we'll both be in town so hopefully we can hit a place or two for chicks.

Thank you again ejcrist!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by