Hello Back Yard Chicken Community , Any Tips For Someone New To The Chicken Trade

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jim Rinaldi, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Jim Rinaldi

Jim Rinaldi New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    Trumbull, CT
    Hello Backyard Chicken Community, I Just Ordered A Bunch of Chicks From Meyer Hatchery There Going To Arrive April 22nd

Need Information On These Topics

- After what amount of time do the chickens produce enough body heat so that they can be outside

- When there growing up what type of feed do you feed them and when do yo start feeding them the different feeds

- Is there a way to train a cat not to want to kill/play with the baby chicks

- And whatever other tips you guys & girls have

2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    My number one tip is to give them a completely predator proof coop! I get so tired of reading about, in the coop, night time massacres. Everything will want to eat them and it's not that hard to build a coop that will hold up to everything except a bear maybe.
    Free range daytime losses can be expected but minimized. At least they stand a chance during the day.

3. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hello and welcome! The answers you seek can be found in the Learning Center, also Meyer Hatchery has a very concise getting started section. Everything you need is here, but during the day, if you have any concerns about your new arrivals you can live chat Meyer. They are amazingly helpful.

Another vote for predator proofing. It could save a great deal of heart ache.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A lot of new members on here begin by saying their flock was wiped out by predators. most often it's their OWN dogs & cats, or the neighbors pets allowed to run loose. If they are in a Ft.Knox of a coop and run (with covered top) they should be safe IF the door.gates are always closed.

Don't hold up a chick to introduce a dog or cat to them. The pet thinks you are offering them a treat and there goes another poor chick victim. You should start by 'assuming' your cat would love to eat them- and proceed them there. You will be able to notice the cat's reaction over time and decide if she is safe or not.

If you free range your birds, you have to expect to lose some to all manner of predators. It's a trade off - free ranging with distinct danger, or keeping in a large, safe fenced pen. Chickens who have never ranged free do not miss the experience. Free ranged birds that survive a serious attack may want to stay in the coop afterwards. So it's up to you.

5. Jim Rinaldi

Jim Rinaldi New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    Trumbull, CT
    Thank you, I was unaware of the fact that you can live chat

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Start with the Learning Center, and then if you still have questions post them in the appropriate forums. Good luck in your chicken adventure.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Keep dogs/cats away from the chicks! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by