Hello BackYard Chicken Friends

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sarahs flock of 6, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Sarahs flock of 6

Sarahs flock of 6 In the Brooder

Feb 22, 2019
    Hello All,

I am a fairly new chicken owner. I got my chics last April and have raised them up to wonderful egg layers. I can have up to 6 in the city so I got 6 not thinking I would be so successful at raising them up. I love having chickens but it's a bit more work than I was anticipating. We have 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Barred Rocks. My daughter LOVES the chickens and is planning on leash training them this summer however, my son is terrified of them and refuses to go in the backyard at all, where they free range, and refuses to eat their eggs. We got a cheap(ish) coop on Amazon and built a run for them around an old garden. I'm hoping to get them a much bigger and sturdier coop this summer and maybe make their run a little bigger so I can keep them in it and my son can feel ok going back out to play. My dad put up a light out above their run so we are still getting eggs even though it's dark for longer in the day than it's not. I love having the chickens and am excited to be able to do more for/with them this summer.

2. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language.

Nov 26, 2018
    Eastern Alabama
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm soooooo glad you joined! You'll love BYC! It's awesome you decided to join the BYC roost! I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I/we do! If you need any help creating a new thread, (if you don't know how I'm going to tell you; and if you know how I'm going to say it anyway) just scroll up and click "Post New Thread". Then follow the steps and walla! I can't wait to see you on BYC (all the time, or not)! My name's Kya. Nice to meet you!

Dunwoody-Jen, rjohns39, Melky and 7 others like this.
  3. FluffTheDuck

Nov 26, 2018
    Eastern Alabama
    My Coop
    welcome-wagon-clipart-1.gif

rjohns39, Melky, 007Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Sarah, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Good idea on building a new coop. I've never heard a single person say they were happy with a mail order type pre-fab coop.

5. FluffTheDuck

Nov 26, 2018
    Eastern Alabama
    My Coop
    Me either. :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens (and geese, ducks, emus,pheasants, quail, et al)

Do you think your son would like to have a baby chick? Maybe if they grow up together he won't be afraid of it.

rjohns39, sourland, Melky and 6 others like this.
  7. Sarahs flock of 6

Feb 22, 2019
    We got the chics when they were a little over a week. We had them in the garage and he would sit out there and play with them and read them books. He's 11. He loved them so much but they got big and we moved them outside and he can't even with them anymore

rjohns39, Melky, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  8. Sarahs flock of 6

Feb 22, 2019

It's been alright for now although I'm sure it won't last another year. It's not quite big enough either. I tried to get my dad to help me build them a coop but he wanted to wait to see what being a chicken person was and to get a better idea of what we wanted for them.

rjohns39, Melky, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  9. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Keep it and store it some place protected. They make good isolation coops for sick or injured birds and quarantine quarters of you ever get a pullet or two you want to add to the flock.

rjohns39, sourland, Melky and 4 others like this.
  10. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    :yesss: :welcome :yesss:
    Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC

rjohns39, N F C, Melky and 5 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: