Hello been offline for over 3 years..

ChickenLeg

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Hello again BYC.

I took a break from BYC midyear 2015, stopped breeding chickens in fall of 2016. Kept a few random chickens at my parents house. A friend kept a line I started going. It consisted of Australorp/Dominique/Ameraucana crosses (**details below). Now that I'm moving out of apartments back to a home in the country, I decided to start back raising chickens. I'll raise my old line and start a LF dominique flock, and some random bantams for a small mixed flock. I'm glad to be back, maybe you'll start seeing me online more often :)

**Australorp/Dominique/Ameraucana crosses are breeding true to color Blue/Black/Splash very little leakage in the hackles so far. Current hens are all blue and black with rose and pea combs. The current rooster is a single comb blue australorp (80-90%) with some american orpington blood (10-15%) in his line maybe even some jersey giant (X%), I'd have to ask the original owner to verify genes. This same australorp line was used in the original cross. Therefore this years hatch had a few single comb females that my friend kept for his line, but it also produced a few good rosecomb males (he saved one for me). I'll be hatching about 40 more of these eggs in the spring when I start back raising chickens. I'll save the best hens and cross them back to the rosecomb male from this years hatch. I'll be breeding for mainly rosecombs but I'm fine with some peacombs in the gene pool, large bodies, slate legs, beards and muffs are a plus, and good layers that are friendly and go broody. All these chickens have great docile personalities so far, the current autralorp rooster will let you walk up to him and pick him up no problem. The eggs range from blue, green, cream, brown, to pink. So large dual purpose birds with ameraucana faces and rosecombs is the main goal.

Last edited:
I'm trying to, one flaw I've found is when I search for threads. Is there a way to sort them by most thread replies? I search for specific threads and all I find are newer threads with few replies.
Choose advanced search under 'more',
then on that page scroll down and click 'relevance'.
It'll help...but still might have to do a lot of browsing.

upload_2018-10-22_18-41-42.png

Thanks for the advice. When did the search engine change? I liked the old way lol seemed to find specific threads far easier and kept traffic on those threads up.
When the platform changed, the old one was better but not by much.

If you're looking for topic, google might work better(almost always brings up BYC threads).....if you're looking for a specific thread, better know the exact title of thread...... '+' sign can help string your key words together. Trying multiple key words, 'title only', recent or relevant....it's laborious.

Back
Top Bottom