Hello BYC community!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iMin3Ra1n, Mar 28, 2015.

1. iMin3Ra1n

iMin3Ra1n Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Hello BYC Community! Being I am now raising two Silkie chickens in a small town community, I hope that counts as backyard :p. Anyway, I'd like to give a few pictures as an introductory to the community. First, I have our incubator:

[​IMG]

Second, our coop. I have just got done recently guiding a coop in introductory to wood working class (I know that may have sounded like tables and cabinets and dressers in high school, but my teacher let me build a coop, a perfect example of why not). I hope there's not an age minimum here, as I am 15. But I'm pretty smart, I'd like to say. Here are all of my images of each step:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [IMG
    ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6806958/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The frame: 2'x2'x2'6". I have not measured the roof. The base is 2'x2'x1'9". The run is 5'x2'x2'. The coop in total is made out of OSB, kiln wood and some ply. All wood was menard bought so it's going to be a little warped. Each item came in 8ft sections. In total, I used about one 2x2, 3 1x2's, one 4x4, one 4x8 1/2" sheet of OSB and plywood, 6 3x shingle sheets (about 10 years old lol), 16 1x3's, 4 8ft sheets of lap siding (the plan was to originally get lap OSB siding but we messed up there, me and my stepdad ;p), one dowel, one floor vent, lots of hives and latches. This post isn't supposed to be a coop plan so I won't go into much detail. I haven't captured many images of the inside, but it has the dowel for the chickens to chill on. Do note this is a direct update of the fellow community member's design named Poultry Palace Extraordinaire. Call mine v2, featuring a drop down ramp and a run, obviously. My first question, will this coop be big enough for two silkies? It's done so I can't make anymore changes to it.

Second question, I was recently left in charge of flipping the eggs in the incubator this weekend, as my parents skipped town for the weekend, and I missed a flipping in the morning on my way to school. Will it affect the chickens hatching? Thanks community!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Awesome ambition! Good for you! The should house two silkies just fine! As for the eggs that should be fine aswell. Good luck with everything!

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    x2 Great job!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Good going. What day are the eggs on? I'm guessing that you're turning them 3 x /day? A skipped turning won't mess them up. More important risk factor is a temp spike.

5. iMin3Ra1n

Mar 28, 2015
    Day 16, and it's just below 100°F

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG] Almost there !!

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You're a day a head of me!! Good luck and keep us posted on how the hatch goes!

8. iMin3Ra1n

Mar 28, 2015
    Well, we candled the eggs, and we have 2 for sure and four other maybes. And just in time for Easter! One question though, can I fit the coop to fit as the brooder? And if so what are a few tips?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by