Hello BYC from Orange County California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MutthaClucker, Feb 11, 2015.

1. MutthaClucker

MutthaClucker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    Hello from sunny Southern California (Orange County). My family is new to raising chickens, but we view this as the next step in our evolution to know where our food comes from and to be more self reliant.

We just picked up our first three girls last week including a Bared Rock, a Buff Orpington and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. So far so good, the chicks are doing well in their make shift brooder and growing daily it seems.

We are busy building a coop which is about 95% done, just needs a few finishing touches. I will post up some pics when its compelte. On that subject, anyone in the area have a 4x5 piece of hardware cloth they would be willing to part with? I only need that one piece to complete the coop, and don't want to buy a 50 foot roll.

Cool site, and can't wait to learn and share with the community!

2. KernH

KernH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2014
    Newman, Ca.
    Welcome! I am up near Modesto. So much information here and great people. Kern

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have a lumberyard- building supplier near you? I've seen short rolls of hardware cloth like 10-12 feet long.

4. MutthaClucker

Feb 11, 2015
    I tried the local box Home improvement stores, and they don't carry a 4x5 piece or anything close. The smallest I could find was 4X50 which is way more than I need.

I am hoping that someone else bought a large roll and didn't use it all, glad to buy it just don't want to spend 70 bucks on a roll that I will use a 10th of.

They do sell small rolls at Lowes and Home Depot, but they are all 3x5 or smaller.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like you have a nice flock of chicks! Good luck with them. [​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I'll look forward to seeing your pics. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop finished.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

Good luck with your new chicks! I hope you can find the materials neccesary to complete your coop.[​IMG]

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

I have BR's and BO's and they are so lovable.

Orange County….home of Orange County Choppers! Quite a famous family.

10. MutthaClucker

Feb 11, 2015
    Thanks for the replies everyone, looking forward to learning lots. Seems like a great group of people so far! I put up a couple of pics of my coop in progress in the coop construction/maintenance sub forum.

The Bared Rock is by far the most doscile of our little flock. She likes being held. The Buff Orpington is the loudest and is very vocal. The Silver Laced Wyandotte seems to be the leader of the pack, and is a bit more flighty than the other two.

The Orange County Choopers guys are in New York. I'm in Orange County California about 10 minutes from Disneyland.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by