Hello byc I am new to the group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by easter egger ed, Mar 28, 2015.

1. easter egger ed

easter egger ed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Delaware
    Hi everyone I am new to the site and I am looking forward to learning as much as possible about my chickens!!! I recently bought a entire flock of laying hens and I am am curious as to what breed my 4 Easter edgers are?? I aquired 26 brown sex links and 4 Easter eggers and I am curious as to what I would get if I cross my Easter egger hens with my buff Orpington rooster?? I am not sure what type of Easter egers these are can anyone help??[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Easter Eggers are not a breed. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers (such as Ameraucanas) with brown egg layers. Because many different breeds are used in the production of EEs, their characteristics are quite variable; usually they have pea combs (not always) and they lay eggs in colors other than brown or white. Because the EE parent has both the blue egg gene and the brown egg gene, if you breed 2 EEs together, you have a 75% chance of having a colored egg layer (depending on which genes the parents pass to the offspring). If you breed an EE hen with your Buff Orpington rooster, the chance that the offspring will lay eggs some color other than brown drops to 33%. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

2 people like this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Easter Eggers are a mixed breed that hopefully lays colored (green) eggs, they have Ameraucana and Araucana (or other blue egg layer) in their ancestry, and the rest can literally be anything else the breeder wanted to use to cross with them. If you breed your EEs to your Buff Orp, you should get at least half green egg layers, (since the blue egg shell gene is dominant, and your girls could carry one or two). (Green eggs are blue eggs shells with the brown "paint" over them.)

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Sorry, I meant 50%, not 33%. My error.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are called Easter eggers because you can get a nice basket of colored eggs from them. They are usually a big hit with kids for that reason, adults love it too.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. easter egger ed

easter egger ed Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Delaware
    Is there any certain way to tell if my hens are Easter egers because I was told by the guy I got them from that they may be americanas but I don't know the difference I just know that their eggs are tiny compared to the brown sex links eggs alit of the brown eggs are double yolk eggs for some reason

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this You can post pictures of your girls in the What Breed/Gender forum for help with figuring out what they are. Ameraucana is a breed that has strict written standards, dealing with color and the physical description that the bird has to match to be considered one, link to the website with the standard (they also have pictures of the various allowed colors) http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html
    The various commercial red sex links are all usually exceptional layers and will usually lay bigger eggs than EEs, and more of them... double yolks are fairly common when the rsls start laying, some may keep doing that, but most will lay regular single eggs when they get their laying systems straightened out.

8. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    True Ameraucanas cannot be purshased at a feed store, tractor supply, or hatchery (with the exception of Meyer hatchery which sells blue Ameraucanas). True Ameraucanas have slate blue legs, muffs, beards, and lay only blue eggs. They come in Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White varieties. If your birds have any deviation from any of these characteristics, they are EEs and not true Ameraucanas.

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    P.S. The bird in the photo in your first post is an EE if that helps.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

You've received some excellent advice from the above posters! Good luck with your Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by