1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CoMtnMan, Oct 1, 2011.

1. CoMtnMan

CoMtnMan New Egg

Sep 26, 2011
    I am brand new to this chicken game...My wife's friend has a coop, and so she got this wild idea that we needed some too. I played along (like a good husband does), built a coop, insulated it, and fenced in the yard. I told her that the chickens were her pets and I was not going to care for them, but I have to admit I have really started to enjoy our flock. We started with an adoption of 3 bantam silkie hens and 1 roo. They are the best, calm, great with the kids, not great layers but fun anyways. We then added one RIR and two Cali Whites. And most recently picked up 5 cross breed girls called "cherry eggers". This has all been over the past 2 weeks and we are getting about 5 eggs a day, but the cherry eggers are just settling in. All the girls have been getting along well and the roo is hilarious. I'm not sure if it is because he is fun sized or just hoarse but his crow sounds like a battery powered toy dying a miserable death. This forum is fantastic, as I have had many questions that I have been able to find great answers to. Thanks for being here.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Welcome to BYC from Connecticut! Happy to hear you've grown attached to your flock, it's always just a matter of time! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Texas

4. blueggsandspam

blueggsandspam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    [​IMG] from WV

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    My husband also said " I will build it, but they are yours". But he is now smitten with them! Good husbands, or good wives for such great ideas [​IMG]. Welcome glad you are here!

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC.

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale