hello chicken experts! help...HAMBURGS??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heckelfish, Apr 9, 2012.

1. heckelfish

heckelfish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    4 weeks old, we have only our list from MMcMurry Hatchery to go by, and all your BYC expert advice and pictures to guess what our 26 chicks are. These we thought were Wyandottes until the combs started to show. Now we're thinking Golden Penciled

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hamburgs or maybe Silver Leghorns. They grew pretty fast compared to all the other chicks. Their legs are a brownish with a slight greenish tint. The feathers on the body are dark brown and tan bar and the neck are black and white. Could they be Silver Penciled Rocks? That was another bird on the hatchery list. Any ideas...anyone?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  3. heckelfish

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    thanks, we'll check it out.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
  5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I have Golden Penciled Hamburgs, and there is a Silver Penciled variety that looks a lot like them, but I think Silver Campine fits in.

6. heckelfish

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    After looking at tons of pictures and everyone's help we think we are going to go with Silver Penciled Barred Rocks for these chicks for now. Thanks for all the input, it has been great fun to try and figure it out.[​IMG]

7. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You mean Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. [​IMG] Barred is another variety.

8. heckelfish

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    oh no, really....my list from mMc says Silver Penciled Rocks. Is that the same thing?

9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011

Plymouth Rocks are the overall breed. There are different colors of Plymouth Rocks such as Barred and Silver Penciled. But most people shorten it to just say "Rocks" such as Barred Rocks or Silver Penciled Rocks. So yes, they are the same thing. Ealier you said 'Silver Penciled Barred Rock', which don't exist- that's just two different color variations.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  10. heckelfish

Apr 6, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    thanks...all this chicken speak [​IMG]

Just noticed you have a hedge hog. They are so cute. I have always wanted one. What's it like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by