Hello chicken friends = Mandurah Western Australia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bradandcas, Apr 26, 2009.

1. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

hi all,
    Cas and i brought a chicken coop today after deciding today that we wanted to have go at producing free range eggs and meat.

As we are totally new i was wondering if someone could possible suggest what type of chickens we should consider buying

Thanks

Brad & Cas :)

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

4. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    [​IMG]
    For meat chickens, consider Cornish Xs. They are dinosaur-like, and eat like the dickens, but my do they taste grand.

Welcome from Iowa, by the way. [​IMG]
    Keep reading, there's much to learn here.
    [​IMG]

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Welcome from southeast Arkansas. cornish crosses are wonderful, but they don't free range very well. I'm not sure what commercial breeds you have available, I understand Australia has tight import laws. We ;have available from France some colored rangers that aren't the big fat meaty things we are used to here, but they range well and make a nice table bird. But if you want eggs as well, go with a nice dual purpose breed, just accept that you're going to have smaller meat birds, because they never fill out like a regular meat bird. Look around here, there's a lot of information available, and ask questions.

6. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG]
    Hi
    From California

7. 4thechicks

4thechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Scotland
    hi and welcome from scotland.

You will find loads of interesting info here.

8. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    No help on which breed to buy. My advice would be to read about all the different breeds and find which ones will work best in the area in which you live.

And welcome!

9. bradandcas

bradandcas Out Of The Brooder

thanks all for your help guys, today we went out and purchased 1 australop, 1 rhode island red, and little yellow one which we cant remember the name of lol

We are not sure of the sex yet and set up their little pen today with globe for heating, food and water. I am going to try and find some information on how to care for them properly as the breeder was very informative but it helps to do some research too right?

Cheers

Brad

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The problem here is finding too much information! Have a good time with your chooks and happy reading!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by