Hello Chicken Lovers! I am new and need SERIOUS advice! Please help me!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CoopDeVille1, Dec 21, 2012.

1. CoopDeVille1

CoopDeVille1 New Egg

Aug 11, 2012
    Hi! I am a stay at home mom with 2 human babies and 35 chickens. My DH was trying to surprise me for my birthday and brought home 'pullets" - Poor, poor husband has wonderful intentions, but I am ready to strangle him for it because #1 several of the birds seem sick and one has a cloudy eye (Markes maybe?) and one of the super sweet Buff Orpingtons has a rattle in her chest. I have NO idea what to do. My place isn't very large and isn't set up to quarantine these new birds, however, I have quarantined the Buff and the other new birds free range far from my existing flock. I am a crazy animal lover and want to do the humane thing. I am at a total loss. I talked to my feed store and everyone there basically said its hard to introduce new birds to a flock, especially if they aren't coming from a safe breeder. I am totally beside myself because I just don't know what to do. I bought VetRx, but I don't even know what I am treating and if I should administer it to the whole flock now. Please help - any advice is really, truly appreciated. I don't want to loose my healthy flock of 26 girls because of these new birds. We have 1 - 12 week old Arucauna, a young Buff, probably same age (with the rattle), 3 barred rocks (one has the cloudy pupil/eye - no liquid/discharge), a White Sussex and a few other full grown hens. [​IMG]Thank you dearly for any help the can be offered.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I was going to suggest you post in the emergencies and disease section, but I see you already did. You'll get good advice there. While you wait type in keywords in the advanced search bar on top and read through the results. There is some great info on here already. Sick birds should be quarantined, yes, until you are 100% sure they are well. Even if you just keep them separate from your flock so they don't have any contact it will help.

Introducing new birds can be tricky, but it can be done. Go to the search bar again and type in "introducing new chickens". I just had a quick look and there are lots of threads on the topic. You will get some good advice there.

Best of luck with your sick birds!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Many times birds with respiratory ailments are carrying a Mycoplasma, MG, a bacteria that effects the sinus's, lungs which is highly contagious. Many flock owners will put down chickens with this bacteria because it is impossible to completely destroy and birds remain carriers the rest of their days.

There are antibacterial drugs, if used long term can treat what is ailing these birds, but again the may be carriers. If I were you, and you want to save them I would contact an avian vet for some advise and possible medications.

Good luck!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, CoopDeVille, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community. Sorry to hear about the sick chickens. I think sumi gave you some great advice - hope it works out. Happy Holidays!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How are things working out?

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by