Hello Chicken Lovers!

SouthernMama

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2016
Apex, North Carolina
I have been researching everything about chickens for weeks and I always end up on this site so I figured it was time to join. Hubby and I have finalized our plans for building a coop that is 5x8 and a run that is 8x12. We are looking to have just 10 chickens for laying. We moved to NC from GA so that we could be more in the country but still close to the city. Im so excited about finally starting my mini farm. Lookinh forward to meeting you all and learning from your wisdom.

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop excluding roosts and nest boxes and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. Bigger is always better because you WILL become addicted and want more and more chickens. Ask anyone here.

Rule  of thumb is  4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop excluding roosts and nest boxes  and 10 sq. feet per bird in the outdoor run. Bigger is always better because you WILL become addicted and want  more and more chickens. Ask anyone here. 

I totally agree with you! I definitely want many more one day plus other types of livestock. Right now we are in a rental so I don't want to build anything bigger till we buy acreage in 2 years. I did use the measurement rule you said to figure out my coop and run size. Did I miscalculate?

Back
Top Bottom