Hello Colorado!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by FrogiesChicks, Feb 10, 2014.

1. FrogiesChicks

FrogiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Hello [​IMG] My name is Rosie and I am currently deployed in Djibouti Africa until June. I have recently purchased 6 acres of land high in the Rocky Mountains of Alamosa, CO and I am supper excited about it [​IMG]. I will be coming to visit my land in July when we are on block leave. I will not officially be living on my land until the end of my contract with the Army in April 2016. So I plan to come and visit my land every chance I get and start building my home and farm.

I have never had my own land or farm, so this will be a new adventure for me but it has always been a dream of mines. I am currently attending Oregon State University and persuing my Bachelors of Science in Agricultural Science with a minor in Horticulture and I am also attending Ashworth College to get my career degree in Veterinary Assistant. So I am very busy being a Soldier, Student and full-time mom to my 13 year old daughter.

I was hoping to meet some fellow BackYardies that are in Colorado or in the Alamosa area that can give me a few pointers about raising Chickens in the that part of the region. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Welcome to BYC!
    Congrats on the purchase of your property and thank you for your service!

3. FrogiesChicks

Feb 6, 2014
    Thank you TTracy and no problem at all.

4. Eggsalad

Eggsalad Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to Colorado! Thank you for your service! I'm still new to the chicken thing, but evidentially there are a couple of real experts on the Western Slope. I have not pursued this yet, and it's not Alamosa, but contact me when you are ready to settle and maybe I'll have some good contacts by then. I accidentally ended up with rare breeds and heritage birds on a kinda rescue thing. Lots to learn. Again, thank you for your service, God speed in returning you safely.

5. FrogiesChicks

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi Eggsalad!! Cool name. I LOVE eggsalad. And no problem at all. I will keep you in mind when it is time for me to get my chickens. Wish you the best.

6. Eggsalad

Great FrogiesChicks! I live in Delta, under the south side of Grand Mesa. The Western Slope is it's own world. For me it's from here to Heaven. Stay safe.

7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

8. Eggsalad

Thanks wsmith, I haven't yet had the time to make it through the almost 2000 pages. Some sleepless night I'll probably read through it all and find some Western side folks. I love this sight and there is so much info to take in for us new to the "blessings" of chickens! Appreciate the looking out for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by