Hello everybody

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ivynurse2003, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ivynurse2003

ivynurse2003 New Egg

Sep 10, 2014
    I am new to chickens, we had them when I was a little girl but that was some time ago, hahaha. My girls will be 5 months old then end of the month they are gold stars. they have have ate very good up until now. they have not been eating good for the last couple weeks. it has me very concerned. Does it have something to do with the colder weather? I make sure they have ample supply of drinking water at all times, and food at all times. but I have not had to fill up their food every day like usually. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. jeanette

2. Adamschickfarm

Adamschickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Oregon
    [​IMG]hello and welcome to are community good luck with your pullets as for the eating problem they might just be foraging more but I don't know for sure hope this helps [​IMG][​IMG]

3. ivynurse2003

ivynurse2003 New Egg

Sep 10, 2014
    thanks

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Chicks will slow down on the eating as they age. They needed a lot of food as babies and now that they are getting older, they will need less food and protein. So as long as they are not eating too much while out free ranging, and you are not giving them too many treats, then let them eat as they will. If they are all healthy, active and everything seems normal about them, then they probably are normal.

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've been given some good advice on why your Gold Stars may not be eating as much. Gold Star is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color at hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Because of their heavy lay rate, you need to make sure that they get plenty of protein in their diet (layer feed will supply this) and plenty of calcium (you can keep a dish of crushed oyster shells in the coop for this). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. BarnBaby

BarnBaby New Egg

Dec 5, 2014
    Fallbrook Ca
    Hello Everybody, I have had many chickens, own a horse but am brand new to Peafowl!!! My sis & her husband have 10 acres & we are retrofitting the 'barn' which is 24'L x 12'w x 7.5' H.. If we separate it down the center is it healthy for the birds to be one one side & goats to be on the other? I wouldn't want anyone getting sick.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't know much about peafowl (never had any), but you should post this on our peafowl section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/51/peafowl and ask our peafowl experts there. Good luck with your peafowl. :eek:)

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you decided to join us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by