Hello everyone from Cali :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SammileeChickie, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Hi everyone, I just got my first two chickens today :) an ameraucana and barred rock.! They are so sweet as they snuggle with each other and peep over food.! Has anyone had trouble with these two breeds living together.? I asked the worker at the feed store where I bought them and he told me that they won't fight and they will be good together. If they were raised together does that affect anything.?

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

Welcome and although I am in Colorado I can tell you that they should do well together. Raising them together is certainly a help in that aspect.

Babs

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Hello!

I have many breeds together. I have Ameraucana, Cream Legbar, Frizzle, Silkie, and Buff Orpington. My birds get along quite well, except for the regular 'pecking order' bossing around, as I call it. So, no, they shouldn't have any trouble together. Unless both of them are roosters, that might make things a little different. But they seem to me lowing each other right now!

Anyways, Welcome to BYC!

4. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California

Thank you :)

5. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California

Okay, is the pecking order bad :( like do they rip feathers out of each other.? Or is it just a peck to let them know their place.?

Thankyou for your welcome :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Both of those breeds are generally docile, so raising them together from chicks, they should get along fine. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your birds.

7. Frindizzle

8. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California

Okay :) thank you.! I read that they are both docile but I have also read a few post that barred rocks are mean :( my ameraucana is a couple weeks older then my barred rock and she likes to spread her wings over the little barred rock :) I have to think of names for my little birdies I just keep calling them the big one or small one haha.!

9. Frindizzle

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California

That makes me feel better :) thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by