Hello everyone from Dallas, TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dizziedee214, Mar 31, 2016.

1. dizziedee214

dizziedee214 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2016
    My husband and I recently discovered that we can keep chickens here in Dallas. We found this site via a recommendation from our local feed store and we are so happy we did. All the knowledge shared on this board is amazing. We do not have any chickens of our own yet and we are now even considering ducks.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's great news on you being able to keep chickens :D I'm sure you will enjoy your chicken adventures very much. They are so much fun and very rewarding too. The learning centre has some great articles that will help you get started on your new chicken and duck adventures. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome [​IMG] Great news that you are planning for your chicken experience. There are so many resources here, and the members are very helpful. I read that many new members choose to buy day old chicks, but the learning curve is a little more gentle if you buy point of lay pullets (4-5 months olds) and you get eggs a lot faster!

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box. They are likely to be able to help you out in terms of sourcing chickens, feeds etc.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ezs Choukies

Ezs Choukies Chillin' With My Peeps

So happy you have brilliant people at your feed store! Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours.

1 person likes this.
  7. silky guy

silky guy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    San Antonio Tx
    [​IMG]Great to have you whith us.From Kerrville ,[​IMG]

TX

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Reading up on the duck breed focus threads is a good way to learn more about the various types of ducks. Lots of good information from members that own them and some beautiful photos.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1024526/duck-breed-focus-project

Whether you decide to go with chickens or ducks, you'll have fun. (I vote for getting both!)

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  9. VickisChickis

VickisChickis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2016
    Dallas/ Ft Worth, Texas
    Hi! I am a new member also. We live near DFW airport and just started our first chicken journey. We have a mixed flock, 1 Bared Rock, 1 Buff Orpington,1 Gold Sex-Link, 2 Easter Eggers, and 1 supposed to be Australorp but looks like she's a black sex-link. They range in age from 3.5 weeks to 6 weeks. We got them from the feed store in Grapevine. Although very nice people, they had no knowledge about chickens! Our run is finished and the girls stay out there during the day, our coop still needs to be calked and a few more tweaks, plus waiting for the baby to get a few more feathers! BTW- we lost our first EE at about 10 days old (we don't know why) and replaced her with 2 just incase I couldn't put a new one right in with the others, I didn't want one all by herself!! That's why we have 2 EE's!! I look forward to hearing what you end up getting and how it all goes!

1 person likes this.
  10. KDMdesigns

KDMdesigns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2016
    Dallas TX
    Glad I came across this site too!! Live in Dallas, TX looking to share with others from Dallas...

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by