Hello everyone! Glad to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PirocaKeeper, Dec 29, 2014.

1. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    It has taken me a little while to figure out how to do things in the website. For a couple of years I have been reading all kinds of articles from people all over. I have learned so much from all of you, not to say the amount of time I have spent looking through pictures of so many beautiful chickens, some of which I had no idea they existed. Finally I decided to join BYC.

Short story, I was born in the Caribbean in Puerto Rico in the countryside, where having chickens, pigs, ducks, geese and other animals was just part of growing up for 24 years. Then I moved up to Massachusetts, where I have lived for about 28 years. I was not able to have chickens for the longest time, because I live in the city, for about 7-8 years now I have lived in the country in agricultural land and finally was able to have chickens again. So I decided to have just 5, 4 hens and a rooster. That was then, 33 chickens later (after reducing my flock), I am still loving it and I feel so at home. Who would have known, that one can get out of the country, but the country never gets out of one. My chickens are pets and yes I love their eggs, but if they never lay and egg, I would just be as happy. I have many kinds, love to add colors and different sizes to my flock and just when I think I am all set, there comes a new picture of something I did not know I wanted yet. My biggest learning experience with chickens here was how much different it is to think of all the details the chickens need in order to survive in the winter. Thank goodness, I only lost one chicken in a winter, but I think she was a very old hen. I bought her very old as I thought she was so beautiful.

So hello everyone, hope to continue enjoying your posts, pictures, advices and knowledge.

2. SkyWorld

SkyWorld Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Welcome to the best chicken web-site.[​IMG] I love leaning from the different experiences and stories and your sounds interesting. Like you I am still learning to navigate the web site and one thing that is always a plus is to post pictures when you can. [​IMG]

3. Scrambles55

Scrambles55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Beautiful North Idaho!
    Welcome to BYC!!

4. PirocaKeeper

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Thank you and indeed it is the best chicken website. I have learned so much in such a short time, thanks to everyone. I created an album with some pictures of my chickens that I had available in my computer. Hopefully everyone can take a look. I will post more when I get more updated ones.

5. PirocaKeeper

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Thank you Scrambless55. Glad to be here.

6. darina

darina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2014
    Welcome, welcome! I have been a member for a few months, but it took a while for me to be brave enough to post anything. It is fun just to read along. Glad you got an opportunity to get back to your country roots. :)

7. PirocaKeeper

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Thank you Darina. There is so much good information in here, one could be reading for a very long time. I know I have. I feel good now. It was also quite a delight for me to find out there were chicken people out there. One of my best days ever! Not along in the world I thought. [​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. You have the right idea in raising chickens just because you love chickens; the eggs are just a bonus. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

9. PirocaKeeper

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Thank you. Michael OShay. So nice to feel welcomed.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by