Hello Everyone! I need help with my EE pullet!!! Feather loss - bruised shanks - lameness :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pennyparty, Mar 3, 2014.

1. pennyparty

pennyparty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    I am so glad to have joined this awesome community of chicken lovers!

I've been a back yard chickener for over two years and have always found such great stuff here. I am hoping you guys can help me figure out what's up with my poor birdie.

I am desperate for answers to help my EE pullet. I got 10 pullets from a great lady here in So Cal about 2 months ago. All of them are around 20 weeks of age at this point and they are all healthy and happy except for this one. I noticed about a week ago that she was spending all of her time sitting in the bottom of the coop or on a perch inside, isolated. She was getting picked on by the other chickens and was starting to lose back feathers. I started letting her free range during the day and put her in the coop at night to give her a break from the unwanted attention but she seems to be getting progressively less active and walking seems to pain her. I have been keeping her in a dog crate for the last 5 days - letting her in out in the sunshine and grass during the day and bringing her in for night.

She eats and drinks. She poops and it looks totally normal.
    I have checked her all over for parasites and found none.
    Her eyes are bright.
    No raised scales on her legs.

Symptoms:

Swollen reddish lumps on the shanks of her legs (her ankles also seem a bit swollen).
    One leg is definitely hurting and more sensitive than the other but no raised scales or open injuries.

Sits all day.
    Sits back on her haunches with her feet almost in the air.
    Feather loss and dry skin w/ some crusty spots.
    Not as heavy as my other girls

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you so much for your suggestions :)

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] it's great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Who is pulling her feathers out is she doing this or are the other chickens plucking her [​IMG]

What kind of feed are you giving her [​IMG]

You might want to separate her from the other chickens [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my EE pullets [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

So sorry about your baby. Lameness can be caused by lots of things really. Injuries, certain virus's like Mareks, Viral Arthritis, AE (avian enchephalomyelitis), Fowl Cholera, even a Staph infection. Vitamin deficiencies can cause lameness as well. Do you have an avian vet you can take her too? You can post this question in our emergency section for more help. As for the feather picking on her back, the other birds probably know she is sick and are trying to run her off. You can spray her back with some Blu-kote to help hide the skin and protect it from infection. If you have a hen saddle, that will cover her back as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with this hen. I hope you can get her healed up soon. [​IMG]

4. pennyparty

Mar 3, 2014
    I have her separated now and have for about 5 days. I am feeding her organic chicken grower but have been supplementing with oats, yogurt, garlic, sunflower seeds, and spirulina.

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes, I would keep her separate from the others. If you can get her to a vet, maybe they can take some blood and try to diagnose why she is going lame.

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Can you get a picture of both her legs at the same time for comparison? MS is known to cause lameness, but doesn't strike both legs at the same time.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. If she were mine, I would provide her with vitamin supplementation and probiotics.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your girl, hope she gets better.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would take her to a vet and proceed from there

10. pennyparty

Mar 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here you can see both legs. Her right leg has two red, hot and squishy lumps... they are hard to see but they are there. One on the inside of the leg closer to the knee and one on the outside of the ankle. Today I noticed her left leg is also developing a lump below the knee on the inside (you can j=kind of see it here). I started her on Tetracycline and multivitamin yesterday. She is still eating and drinking well and seems bright, just can't walk around. I am beginning to think the feather loss was secondary to the leg problems (her laying around prompted the other birds to pick on her) because I haven't seen a single loose or shaded feather in her kennel over the last week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by