1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello everyone! I need temperature help for my hovabator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jen F, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Jen F

Jen F Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    This is the first time I've tried hatching any eggs. I'm so excited!![​IMG] I have a 2362N Hovabator, (circulated air). I need to start hatching eggs today. I turned on the bator yesterday... it is reading 110+ degrees and if I turn the adjuster to "decrease temp" the red light goes off. My humidity is on 40, but I read from another post to put very hot water in. I will try that now.
    Any suggestions?
    Glad to find a site where others love chicks as much as we do.[​IMG]

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    woah, stop right there.. do not do anything, especially do not put hot water into an overheated bator..

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I don't know that model, but the 1588 comes with a set of instructions on how to adjust temperature...??

Also, if the light goes off, that just means that it's not "heating"...go ahead and decrease it until the light goes off, and see what temp it's at when the light comes back on, if it's still too high, you may need to decrease it some more. [​IMG]

AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    now that you have stopped everything, i hope..

do not plan on putting any eggs into that incubator until tomorrow..

You have a lot of stabilizing to do.. You have to get your temp steady at 99.5F or as close to it as you can..

the red light comes on to let you know that the heating element is on..

open up the bator and dump the excess heat,, keep doing that until you get the temp to 99.5F If you go below that, no problem.. just get it to stabilize somewhere.. It isn't going to happen instantly..

at this time do not worry about the humidity.. you can deal with that later..

please acknowledge that you received this reply..

5. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    Quote:That makes sense, but I need more humidity.?

I did get instructions, but honestly not very detailed for a novice like myself.[​IMG] I think I need to decrease temp, even though the light goes off. (hehehe) , then put in hot water to bring the humidity up? On that note where exactly is the best range for humidity?Am I right or wrong. Please tell me.
    Thanks everyone.

6. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    Thanks. I did receive it. I will try those things.

7. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Humidity is all a preference thing. You will hear of people incubating from 1-17 days anywhere from 15%-50% humidity. I personally go for 25%-35%, have had my best hatches there for days 1 -17. Then I up it to 55-60 for hatching and have never had a shrink wrapped chick. Some people will tell you this is way to low for humidity but it all depends on what works where you live and what works for you. Try to find people locally who incubate and see what they do for their humidity range and try to base it from there, that is generally a good starting point.
    I second waiting to add the water to your incubator till you get the temp figured out because that is going to make it take longer to stabilize temperature in the incubator.
    Turn down the temp control, open the door and let it cool off inside for a few then let it stabilize back and keep doing it till you get 99.5 to 100 for a solid temperature. When you add the water this will mess with the temp sometimes but do not do anything, the incubator will fix itself. Same thing when you add eggs for the first time, it will drop the temp in the incubator sometimes, but temp will come back up in several hours. The eggs need to warm to the incubator temp slowly and that is what causes the temp drop in the bator.

8. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    is this the wafer type thermostat?

if so, is your wing nut snug?

i've found that i'm better able to adjust the temperature in my 1602N when the wing nut is pretty tight.

9. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    That all sounds great! Thanks everyone!
    BTW... I'm starting with 12 quail eggs. Any pointers with that?

I have Barred Plymoth Rocks, Silverlaced Wyandottes, Black austrolorps. 1 cat, 1 blue heeler, 1 parakeet, 2 tree frogs, 2 hermit crabs, 1 baby bluegill.[​IMG]

10. Jen F

Feb 24, 2011
    Western/ Central KY
    Yes it is the wafer type. The first time I plugged it in was last night. I just didn't understand about the red light. I will remember that about the wing nut. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by