Hello everyone! I'm an "old"newbie!

Bella vista

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
I have been researching coops, and everything chickens on Backyard chickens for almost 2 yrs. now. I should have joined long ago, but felt kinda dumb because I feel like I have gained so much knowledge over the last 2 yrs. but haven't actually got chickens until 1 week ago! So I feel like an " old " newbie! Lol . We had to dig a lot of hillside out, put in a retaining wall all before we could start building the coop which took all winter.
We now are the proud owners of 8 red sexlinks 9 weeks, 3 Eastereggers 5weeks, 2 copper Marans and 1 polish 5 days. IM HOOKED! this has been an awesome week! So much learning and adapting as we go. The 1st day we realized roost was too small- fixed that. Older hens kept crashing into window to roost. It took them 2 days to figure out to go up the ramp at dusk ( which the EE's figured out 1st day) then there was the task of teaching them to get out of the coop -down the ramp in the morning. That took older ones 6 days
( again....EE's learned 1st day! ) then setting up a pen inside run for the smaller ones to run into because bully hen chases them.( babies are still in brooder). Today it rained so we found worms to feed..... That was so fun to watch the chasing!
Anyhow..... Thank you all for allowing me to nose around your threads and coop picks to get me to this point!:)

welcome-byc.gif

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Its a trial and error kind of hobby but BYC sure makes things easier :)

Best wishes raising those peeps and beware of chicken math

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom