1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this please help me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CityHenMama1313, Feb 25, 2015.

1. CityHenMama1313

CityHenMama1313 New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    So, for the last 2 days I noticed she wasn't eating along with her other free range chicken friends. She was just sitting under the tree all by herself. So this morning we decided to pick her up and look to see if she possibly had anything stuck in her throat. She kept gagging so we felt along her neck and it feels like there's a coin in there. What do I do? I gave her some olive oil, but it didn't seem to help. The avian doctor wants to charge me $350 just for a visit and if there's a surgical procedure it will be $2,000. I don't have the means. Any suggestions? Or advice? Please.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry you are here under such an unfortunate circumstance. I would give her a piece of bread soaked in olive oil. Also add a little Apple Cider Vinegar to her water. Watch her closely to make sure she is eating. Offer her grit-crushed oyster shell and sand.

One of my hens swallowed a whole feed bag string. I gave her the olive oil soaked bread and ACV water. I also gave her celery hoping the "stringiness" of the celery would help her pass the feed bag string. And grit. It all worked. I know it's much different material than a coin if that is what your chicken ate. But she is either going to pass it or not.

If you have tried everything, and still see no improvement, and she is knocking on death's door, you can also attempt surgery yourself depending on how confident you are about it. I was prepared to do the crop surgery myself if needed. Let me know her status.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC.

@Outpost JWB has given you some good ideas, hope they work for you. Keep us posted on how your girl does.

Nice to have you here!

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    The otehr members have given you some great info!!!

[​IMG]Welcome!! I hope you have a great time on here!!!

6. CityHenMama1313

CityHenMama1313 New Egg

Feb 25, 2015

Thank you very much. I looked at some crop surgery videos I can attempt at home. She's a bit more active today, she isn't gagging as much as she was yesterday. She still has something stuck in her throat. I'll try the options you suggested. I appreciate it, I'll let you know the results.

7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. diggy

diggy New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Hi lookin for elegant quail hatching eggs i stay in scotland

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock".

I'm sorry to hear about your hen![​IMG] I hope she turns out okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by