Hello everyone! I've gotten myself into a predicament...

Pics
May 3, 2023
Hi everyone! I'm new to keeping chickens, I actually just got my first this morning. I've spent plenty of time researching and wanting them, though.

I decided that before getting a big, permanent, and probably expensive coop with a decent-sized flock, I'd try one of those "rent a coop" programs. Basically you get a small chicken tractor, a few laying hens, supplies, and keep them for 6 months before sending them back. The idea was that I'd try keeping chickens for a little while, decide if it was for me or not, and then build a permanent structure for a large flock if it was. I settled for a package which got me two chickens (a Delaware and RIR if that matters) and a large coop to start out with. They assured me that the coop I'd get would be plenty big enough for two chickens for the summer. Well, this is what I got...

PXL_20230503_234349027.jpg

The run attached to the coop measures about 4' by 3', and the coop itself is 2' by 3' excluding the nest boxes. This seems pretty small for two large fowl. The open wire run in front with the chair in it isn't a solution for all day, I've got hawks and a nesting pair of bald eagles nearby. I can maybe let them out in that run supervised for 30 minutes a day during the week, an hour and a half on weekends. The main coop does look much more secure against predators than typical small pre-fab coops, it's solid wood and the locks are too difficult for any normal raccoon to undo. What's the verdict from the chicken masters? I want to keep chickens, but not if they don't have enough space to be healthy and happy. They look alright for now, if maybe a bit more cramped than the chickens my friends have. If it isn't enough, I can probably return them and the coop in a week or two, or construct a more permanent large run around the coop. Thank you!

I think having a tiny coop is going to squelch the fun out of chicken keeping, even for a trial run.

I hadn't even thought of that... Good point. I can't fit in the coop to do maintenance and interact with the chickens. I do have the open-topped wire run, so it isn't quite that bad, but I imagine that it'll be tough to clean out.

That is a send back. How much did you pay? You will need more than that to keep out any big predators and with eagles nesting near by, the chickens won’t be happy either.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. It was somewhat expensive (around 600$) but it also included about 100lbs of chicken feed and a few other things, so I think that I got an okay deal. What sort of predators would be able to get inside the main coop? The hen house seems pretty durable to me. I do live in VT, so I guess bears could be an issue...

Last edited:
Welcome. You don't have nearly enough space. Most of us here do not like pre-manufactured coops, but, I am sorry for saying this...that one is really pathetic. Send it back. Just jump in to chickens, you will love it. Get a shed and covert it. And then make a big run. Surround the shed and the run with hardware cloth apron as well as the walls of the run to be predator proof- and cover it. Put in some roosting bars, nesting boxes and ventilation and you and your chickens will be happy.

Last edited:
I hadn't even thought of that... Good point. I can't fit in the coop to do maintenance and interact with the chickens. I do have the open-topped wire run, so it isn't quite that bad, but I imagine that it'll be tough to clean out.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. It was somewhat expensive (around 600$) but it also included about 100lbs of chicken feed and a few other things, so I think that I got an okay deal. What sort of predators would be able to get inside the main coop? The hen house seems pretty durable to me. I do live in VT, so I guess bears could be an issue...
In Vermont you have everything to worry about, bears, hawks, eagles, racoons, and my biggest nightmare - weasels/minks.

Welcome. You don't have nearly enough space. Most of us here do not like pre-manufactured coops, but, I am sorry for saying this...that one is really pathetic.

Well shucks. What do you think I should do? Do I have time to build a larger run for them, or should I just send them back as soon as possible and try with a permanent coop next time? Thanks!
In Vermont you have everything to worry about, bears, hawks, eagles, racoons, and my biggest nightmare - weasels/minks.

Yes, I'm actually right on a river, and I've seen mink multiple times during the day. Sounds like predators might be my biggest issue.

I'd suggest you return it tomorrow.

I can't believe these nutters charged you close to 600 for this. Also...Two bags of chicken feed shouldnt run you more than about $40.

Well shucks. What do you think I should do? Do I have time to build a larger run for them, or should I just send them back as soon as possible and try with a permanent coop next time? Thanks!

Yes, I'm actually right on a river, and I've seen mink multiple times during the day. Sounds like predators might be my biggest issue.
Send it back. Just jump in to chickens, you will love it. Get a shed and covert it. And then make a big run. Surround the shed and the run with hardware cloth apron as well as the walls of the run to be predator proof- and cover it. Put in some roosting bars, nesting boxes and ventilation and you and your chickens will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom