Hello everyone leg hip question

07butler

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2017
I have a 6 week old chick who's leg is turning inwards I've tried a splint for a day it still turned it in even with it on. Would a hobble work better? These are the first chicks I've ever had. I have 2 inside separated by wire right now since one is hurt but so they can see each other and not get lonely. My little boy is so upset cause his dad said kill it. I'm going to try to help it but am a little lost as what to do. It gets medicated chick starter, the stuff in it's water, bunch of shavings in box also I'm confused as to what might have happened. My little boy doesn't hold them either he only pets when I'm holding them. Please help me

Agree. Generally with foot, leg problems - they need to be addressed as soon as they show up. This chick, I think ,would have been better hobbled but, of course I can only see a photo and not examine him - same for the E/R folks. Is it possible you could post a video of him moving, so they can access where the problem lies, hip, or further down the leg/foot.

Looks like his leg twists to the outside. Your husband makes things worse - with his comment about killing it. Your son doesn't need to grow up thinking if anything is wrong with him, he will be killed. Children are very impressionable.

Foot, leg problems can take longer than a day or two to start improving.

Agree.    Generally with  foot, leg problems - they need to be addressed as soon as they show up.   This chick, I think ,would have been better  hobbled  but, of course I can only see a photo and not examine him - same for the E/R folks.  Is it possible you could  post a video of him moving, so they can access  where the problem lies, hip, or further down the leg/foot.

Looks like his leg twists to the outside. Your husband makes things worse - with his comment about killing it.    Your son doesn't need to grow up thinking if anything is wrong with him, he will be killed.  Children are very impressionable. 

Foot, leg problems can take longer than a day or two to start improving.

Yes im beginning to understand chickens a little but still learning, yes I've explained to my husband he came just blert things out he's not old enough to understand things yet. I however am an animal lover I want to help as much as possible but don't want it suffering. I didn't think I'd like chickens but have gotten very attached thanks for the help I will post in emergency and see what I can do

Back
Top Bottom