Hello Everyone! My first Winter with Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AshMckenzzz, Dec 14, 2016.

1. AshMckenzzz

AshMckenzzz Just Hatched

Dec 14, 2016
    Hello! I am new to the chicken world and to this blog!

I live in Northern California and this will be my first 'winter' with chickens. as you can tell from my quotation, winters are fairly mild here. Heavy rain and occasional cold spells (low 30's at night)

Anything I should be aware of? Change in their diets etc. Look forward to connecting with you all!

We also, as I'm sure most of us experience, had to cull a rooster due to zoning laws. I've searched far and wide for recipes as I would not want him to go in vain! Any suggestions? He was about 18 weeks or so. He was an Americauna so I'm not sure if that makes a big difference.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under AshMckenzzz [​IMG] Welcome!

Living in Aus, I am not going to be much help with regards Winter but I do know there are many threads regarding winterizing your coop. You might be interested in the current Topic of the Week which is Kitting out the Coop for winter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1144804/topic-of-the-week-kitting-out-the-coop

You also might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I think there are also a couple of threads pertaining to chicken recipes that you might want to search.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I'll be glad to trade winters with you. Right now 1:30 am it is 4.5 degrees F and going down.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Very good advice and links, so I'll just say hi.

best wishes
    CT

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC!

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

9. AshMckenzzz

AshMckenzzz Just Hatched

Dec 14, 2016
    Thank you all! They have been having a great winter so far! And thanks for the recipe ideas, we did just roasted chicken and it turned out great! I was also recently watching a lifestyle show, The Chew and they did a Coq au Vin. Which I guess is an old peasant dish for old roosters and hens. Leave it to the french to make something delicious! I'll try that next.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Happy you joined at BYC! :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by