1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello Everyone!! New Member here from Louisiana :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SilkieCentral, Sep 11, 2011.

1. SilkieCentral

SilkieCentral New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    [​IMG] Thanks to Everyone on the forum and the admin's for all their hard work to make this site available for BY bird lovers like me!!
    I appreciate all the helpful information that is posted on here! I joined today.

I live in Louisiana, married to my husband for 9yrs and we have a wonderful 8yr old daughter. Our family is extended with our 55gal freshwater aquarium, 2 adopted dogs- 'Lucy' is a basset/beagle mix, about 5yrs old & 'Sam' is a belgian malanois, about 1 1/2yrs old. We got our first Silkie's yesterday from my Uncle. We have a beautiful white hen & roo..

Roo's named 'Bully' (hubby named him) and hen is named 'Helen'.. My daughter named her b/c she said it looks like she cant see or hear, with all the feathers and she just studied about 'Helen Keller' in school and we thought it was sweet b/c she said the hen's still beautiful and can do anything she wants eventho she cant see good..etc So thats how they got their names today.

My wonderful hubby liked the chickens at my uncles and I really wanted some when my uncle told me they had babies, so we
    wanted to added some 2our family [​IMG] He said each day we are so busy, etc and hardly have time to smile/laugh each day, so how nice would it be to come home from a hard day at work and sit outside with your family and or friends and watch them in their coop or let them out and just enjoy watching our silkies, laughing at them and their scratching and sounds [​IMG] So, he did his research on silkies, built me a coop & nesting house. I went to Tractor Supply Store and bought their food & hanging waterer & feeder- I went and raked them some hay from next door (the neighbors said we could have as much as we want, how sweet:) and introduced them to their new home. They loved it!!

Growing up, my grandparents lived on a farm and always had every animal, so I grew up bailing hay with my grandpa & helping around their farm and I'm finally to a point in my life where I can have BY animals.. we have land now, do not live in the city limits, etc. SO I am so so so very happy now [​IMG]

We love them already and want to provide the best home for them along with their chicks (hopefully) one day & I'm happy I found this site. I've learned some new info on here so far from just reading around & I have so much more to learn. I have more info I want to find out about, like how to introduce a new hen to them, when we decide to get another one for our roo... and is their other birds I can put in with my silkies, like doves or pigeons..I will read more tonight, etc and if I dont find the info I'm looking for, I will ask in a post.

Ok, Thanks for reading & Thanks again to everyone on here!! I love my new babies!!

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Welcome from Kentucky!

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your new additions & good luck [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
  7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you with us.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by