Hello Everyone! Newbie in Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Raz'sRoost, May 6, 2009.

1. Raz'sRoost

Raz'sRoost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Ludington
    Well, always fancied myself a city girl until I found the man of my dreams and married last September. He bought me a house on the outskirt of town that came with 3 undeveloped acres butting up against private land and a creek running the full length of the property....my new wonderland since I am a part-time landscaper!

Unfortunately I developed an allergy to mosquitos last year, and since I hate being inside am determined to take care of the issue naturally...I don't want to use chemicals on my land. So my friend suggested chickens, which my reply was "What!? I don't know the first thing about having chickens!" It was enough to get me thinking though since she has 20 swamy acres and hardly a mosquito to be found....bug control and eggs in one pet?

Since Michigan winters can be long I had plenty of time to research and decided raising chickens is something I can do.....and much to my new hubbie's chagrin, he woke up one morning to 12 new babies in the family:D

It's only been a month...and have since added 2 baby ducks that needed a home.

Right now I have them in the garage, but am anxious to get their coop built so they can be outside....if I could just stop watching them and their antics for hours on end!

I love this site, there is soooooo much information and helpful advice. Glad I found this place!

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    WELCOME from Oregon. I'm also looking forward to the chickens helping with mosquitos this summer. ALSO, you'll love your ducks.....they LOVE slugs!

3. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    [​IMG]

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG] from the thumb! [​IMG]

If you're ever coming up my way, give me a shout! [​IMG]

5. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Hi and welcome to you from over the Pond.... addiciton has begun and bugs have gone......

8. tammayrend

tammayrend Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Ann Arbor Area
    I'm a Michigander (and new backyard hen girl) myself - Welcome!

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

10. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    [​IMG] Hello welcome! I am new to BYC also![​IMG]
    Awesome pets!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by