hello everyone! wanting to get a flock questions about the run and housing

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AnimalLover15, Mar 8, 2016.

1. AnimalLover15

AnimalLover15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    longview tx
    I plan on getting 3 younger red hens. I have a large area that was prefenced when moving in that is perfect size for chickens to have "free range". My question is cheapest but safest way to roof that fenced area. I have a coop for at night with fenced grazing area and roost but worried about during the day.is it necessary to roof that whole area?

2. AnimalLover15

Mar 8, 2016
    longview tx
    [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. AnimalLover15

Mar 8, 2016
    longview tx
    thank you happy I found this place.. quite a lot of information I didn't know and seems to be a great group of people so far.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

We have an "L" shaped run for our girls. The long part of the "L" is covered with a sun cloth type mesh we got at Harbor Freight and the short part of the "L" is covered with metal sheeting. I like having the run covered to protect the flock from flying predators, we have a lot of hawks in this area. The sun cloth mesh adds additional shade to their run and really helps keep them more comfortable in the warm weather. The metal sheeting keeps that of part of their run dry when it rains.

I would encourage you to come up with some type of cover for your run, for their protection if no other reason.

Thanks for joining us!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    some folks use fiberglass panels for the roof, they come in clear or tinted, - they can protect from sun, rain and snow and also predators. I don't know what they cost now, but it sure can buy peace of mind.

7. AnimalLover15

Mar 8, 2016
    longview tx
    Thank you for your feed back everyone. We are looking into options right now. This is the area we are needing to cover (if photo loads this time). Until we come up with something permanent I'm going to be out with them all the time and find a temporary fix.

8. AnimalLover15

Mar 8, 2016
    longview tx
    [​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

If you can't cover their outdoor area, you could make several covered areas the chickens can hide under...even something as simple as a couple of pallets placed on end (like an inverted V) could give them a place to duck under.

10. AnimalLover15

Mar 8, 2016
    longview tx

That sounds like a great idea, thank you! I have several pallets I have no other use for so that works out well. I apperciate the advice, I'll definitely try it out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by