Hello everyone! WV newbie here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by showtime9023, Jan 6, 2013.

1. showtime9023

showtime9023 New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    We tried to raise chickens about 4 years ago when we were at a feed store during april the kids cried for the dyed chicks, so I bought five...............roosters. So with the itch again 4 years later we just discovered that you can order females. We ordered 15, 4 barred rocks, 5 buff orpingtons, 3 buff brahma standard, and 3 RI reds. I hope we made good selections as we have children as old as 13 and as young as one. We were looking for a combination of good layers and friendly varities. We recieved our chicks on Sat and I swear they are bigger already. I dont know who's more excited mom and dad or the kids. Is it normal so sit and stare in the brooder for hours? Any advice tips or any info at all is appriciated. Let the journey begin.......lol.

2. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Welcome! Congrats on your new flock! And yes, brooder staring is quite common among us chicken lovers. New chicks are always exciting!

[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I took vacation from work for the first week I had chicks. When I returned to work, I never got any house work done because I was watching the chicks all the time. So I think it's pretty normal indeed!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, showtime, and [​IMG]! Happy to hear you are loving your chicks! Good luck to you!!

6. showtime9023

showtime9023 New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks everyone, we are super excited and look foward to raising our ladies. This site is awesome and full of information for newbies. I cant keep the kids outta the brooder....lol

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, it is absolutely normal to stare entranced at chick TV. The rest of the world will never understand, but we do. Welcome to the BYC community.

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC :)

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC! I live near Huntington. What part of WV are you from? I think you got a nice assortment of chicks. I always love to watch my chicks hanging out. The first gang was in our livingroom, but we have a small satellite coop for chicks now, and I have to go out there all the time to watch.

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by