Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OilyChick, May 3, 2016.

1. OilyChick

OilyChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Northeast, Texas
    I'm new to BYC and really looking forward to getting to know some of you veteran chicken farmers. I'm super excited about getting my first batch of chicks in a few weeks! This is a dream come true for me! I have been researching chickens, coops, and everything poultry related for about 5+ years. My Pinterest boards are overflowing with chook stuff!! :)

Because of many other life challenges and just basic busyness the coop was put on hold until now. Now I feel like I can care for chickens properly and give them a nice place to live. And you know how it is...hubby has to "get around to it" ;) . Also, I found out my secret weapon was my granddaughter. She mentioned that there were some very cute little chicks at the local Tractor Supply and that she wished we could have a coop for them...and VOILA! Next time I mentioned building a coop the hubster asked me what kind I wanted!!!

My DH has built the pad and a couple of days ago moved the carport cover into place. We are going to convert it to the coop/storage/covered run for my chickies. I have the plans all drawn up and with MUCH support from many coop ideas I have gleaned here at BYC it is finally starting to materialize!

So thankful to become part of this community! Can't wait to share the loads of photos I'm planning to upload.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you finally can get your own flock.

And [​IMG].

It also took me a few years to convince my DH we had to have chickens.

3. OilyChick

Apr 26, 2016
    Northeast, Texas
    Thanks for the welcome sunflour! I think he finally realized that all the money we are spending to go and get (sometimes up to an hour) and money purchasing free-range or pastured organic eggs could be used instead to grow our own egg machines :) We are very particular about the quality and I'm going to do my best to help produce some healthy hens and great-tasting eggs!

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Don't worry, DH will get to like your flock as much as you do, given a bit of time (we men are a bit slow, so be patient with him [​IMG]).

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre (even if you have lots of experience)
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you will update with pictures of coop, setup and occupants when possible. WE love to see them.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. OilyChick

Apr 26, 2016
    Northeast, Texas
    Is it better to save up photos of our coop build and do one big post? Or trickle them in as an ongoing project?

8. OilyChick

Apr 26, 2016
    Northeast, Texas
    Is it better to save up photos of our coop build and do one big post? Or trickle them in as an ongoing project?

Hey, I'm getting the hang of this replying stuff :)

Now if I can just figure out where y'all get all those cute little "action figures"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by