Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PawsAndPeeps, Oct 8, 2016.

1. PawsAndPeeps

PawsAndPeeps New Egg

Oct 8, 2016
    Illinois
    Hello! I'm new to byc but have lurked for a while (there's an abundance of amazing information here, I love this site lol) and I am another victim of, as my husband calls it, THE BIRD ADDICTION. I had wanted chickens for a looooong time and whenever a friend of a friend was giving away his coop, pen, birds and supplies FOR FREE back in July, I jumped on the opportunity. Then, a month later, I bought six babies at the local farm store and I am officially hooked!So hello to all, from another crazy bird lady! [​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures started :clap
    It sounds a little like how I started, a friend of a friend was selling their coop and run and my other half snapped it up. After that there was no stopping me and I soon became addicted :D
    What breed/s have you started out with? Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! Congrats on the new chickens! Aren't chickens addicting? I started with 6 hens and am now stuck with 28 great chickens [​IMG] Have a fantastic time on here and never hesitate to ask questions! Enjoy! [​IMG]

4. PawsAndPeeps

PawsAndPeeps New Egg

Oct 8, 2016
    Illinois
    Thank you! Chickens are so fun and interesting, I've never had birds of any kind before this and I just wish i had started much sooner! well, the two older hens are a buff Orpington and a rir *I think* and then the six babies I bought are now beautifully feathered but I'm still not sure. They were in a layer pullet assortment that had a list of possible breeds about a mile long lol. If I can, I'll post some pictures later and then I can get some help identifying them. :) Id also like to know if any are roosters. What age do they start to crow? What breeds of birds do you have? Do you have any other poultry, aside from chickens? I'm sorry, so many questions! Lol

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I was scared to death of birds for many years and if the other half had not bought the coop and run I probably still would be. We started with two hybrid hens, Amy & Penny. They helped me over come my fear and we got a couple from friends, an Orpington and a mixed crested breed. Then I had a go at hatching and hatched 3 barnevelder cross chicks. Unfortunately had a fox attack and lost everyone :( Garden was too quiet after that so I got a couple of amber hybrids and then I started with polish chickens. Hatching my own then breeding them. Not looked back since and like you wish I had started many more years before!
    Still have mainly polish, an Amber hybrid and a polish x Amber frizzle.

Please do post some pics in our what breed gender section for help on identifying your unknowns, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you joined us! I am very addicted, I started out with 3 Lavender Orps, had up to 45, and now I am down to 35. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here...beware of chicken math!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by