Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OrloffTom, Jul 27, 2010.

1. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Well, I'm a many time reader and finally getting around to registering. I just got my first batch of chicks April 9th. I got eight assorted pullets from the local Tractor Supply. I didn't do much reading prior to getting them so I didn't really know what to expect. They looked to have some Rhode Island Red coloring though. Seven had the reddish tint and the other was a different coloring altogether. Well, to make a long story short the different color is a cockeral and thankfully there is no zoning laws here that disallow roosters! We are pretty sure it's a Russian Orloof but I can't be entirely sure if it's a pure breed or not. Orloof's in general has really interested me and come to find out they are on the critical list of endangered heritage breeds. He's a spangled coloration and my kids have named him Link. I'd love to be able to breed the fella with some other Orloof hens and help do my part to save this breed. I'm a tad dishearted though because I'm pretty sure he has an underbite. It's not severe and he has no trouble eating/drinking and seems to be in good health. My concern is, will that underbite pass on to his offspring? I'll post a pic and see if some of experts can help a newbie chicken owner out [​IMG]. Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. Here is a pic of Link!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I can't help you with your questions but I can welcome you to BYC officially.
    [​IMG]

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    [​IMG]

4. OrloffTom

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Thanks for your welcoming! I'll do some more searching around and maybe I shouldn't have asked the questions in my first post either lol. But I thought I would knock two things out in one post [​IMG].

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    You're probably right, with a title like "hello everyone" some people may assume this post has no questions in it. I'd try posting with a different topic.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from NH. Undesirable traits are frequently the first ones passed on. [​IMG]

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    [​IMG] From Western Washington State.

8. OrloffTom

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    I'm gonna break this up and repost the question in the right section. Thanks to everyone that has chimed in so far!

9. sodbuster

sodbuster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    hi [​IMG]

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] & [​IMG] If you got them at TSC, more than likely he's an EE instead of Orloof . Hate to bust your bubble, but he looks EE. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by