Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by utah67, Jun 28, 2011.

1. utah67

utah67 New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    I have a question.
    I need to know how to keep the smell down from my small to medium flock? I have 17 chickens rite now in my backyard. I have them in a area of about 50'/65' square. I am going to be re homing 5 roosters asap. The smell is getting a little more in the summer heat! I have been letting them out into the other side of the yard during the evening were there is grass, they have demoed the side they are on that had grass as expected, I have been cleaning the yard often and disposing of the pine chips and droppings as often as twice a week. Is there anything else I can do that will cut down on the smell?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! You could try some DE. Someone else is bound to come along with another suggestion.

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Wet wood chips have a horrible smell. I switched to sand. I was cleaning and replacing sometimes 3 times a week. Gave up, added sand and the smell is gone and the sand can just be sifted through to clean.

4. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    [​IMG] from Australia!
    Do you let them free range? Sometimes I find that if I enclose an area of open space for them to run around in, the smell disperses nicely in the air.
    The coop where they sleep at night... that stinks pretty bad, but it helps if we put in fresh grass clippings from each mow [​IMG]

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Good morning and Hello [​IMG] from Mid Michigan!!

6. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    [​IMG] from NW Georgia!! Glad you joined us on the best Chicken site available!!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Wolftracks is correct...sand is the way to go, it also cuts down on flies and parasites.

8. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania! I agree, try sand.

9. Kane

Kane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    South Haven
    [​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by