hello everyone!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mooneychicks, Feb 15, 2013.

1. mooneychicks

mooneychicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Im new to having chickens so we thought we were buying 4 hens but i think we have 2 roosters. I need help. We cant have roosters because we can't deal with fertilized eggs. Can anyone help me and tell me if they are roosters before we sell them?[​IMG]

2. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
  3. mooneychicks

Feb 15, 2013
    Well the black one I think is a black astralorp rooster. Check that one out. It doesn't have that big white thing on the side of its face. The brown one is the one that gets on top of the hens and bites the back of their neck. I really just don't know what to think. Im going to try to get a better picture of the brown one.

4. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    If the 'brown one' jumps on your hens then a roo.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The brown and white bird is a cockerel for sure. I think that the black chicken is a black leghorn hen. Nothing about her feathering or body type says cockerel.

6. mooneychicks

Feb 15, 2013
    After researching this I do believe that the black one may quite possibly a Minorca hen. As for the brown one, it has to be a rooster just not sure what breed yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by