hello everyone

Mike26726

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2015
I am a rookie here. Purchased 6 EE chicks last week. They are all growing in their wing feathers and 3 of the 6 are starting to grow tailfeathers

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your EEs.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to figure out if they are pullets or cockerels. As I mentioned3 are pretty far ahead on their wing feather growth. The same three are starting to grow tail feathers. Any tips would be appreciated.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to figure out if they are pullets or cockerels. As I mentioned3 are pretty far ahead on their wing feather growth. The same three are starting to grow tail feathers. Any tips would be appreciated.

Feathering, facial color, comb and leg size are the usual way. Feathers of the cockerels will have a patchwork look to the feather colors, often tri colored, especially noticable on the back. Their combs are wider, color of skin reddens faster. Pullet coloring can be anything but cascades or blends nicely from head to tail in same colors, different shades. Pullets hackles and saddles and taill feathers will be rounded. Cockerel will have pointy hackles, saddles that drape to sides. Tail will be messy in shape before sickle feathers start. Cockerel feathers come in messy whereas Pullet feathers come in smooth and tight in comparison. Pullet tail will start to look like inverted V from behind and well defined from the side, like a square turned with one corner stuck to the hen. Legs of cockerel are thicker, stronger and stance is more aggressive, taller. I hope this helps, that's how we do it.
smile.png

Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

Feathering, facial color, comb and leg size are the usual way. Feathers of the cockerels will have a patchwork look to the feather colors, often tri colored, especially noticable on the back. Their combs are wider, color of skin reddens faster. Pullet coloring can be anything but cascades or blends nicely from head to tail in same colors, different shades. Pullets hackles and saddles and taill feathers will be rounded. Cockerel will have pointy hackles, saddles that drape to sides. Tail will be messy in shape before sickle feathers start. Cockerel feathers come in messy whereas Pullet feathers come in smooth and tight in comparison. Pullet tail will start to look like inverted V from behind and well defined from the side, like a square turned with one corner stuck to the hen. Legs of cockerel are thicker, stronger and stance is more aggressive, taller. I hope this helps, that's how we do it.
smile.png
Agreed.

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Good luck with your Easter Eggers! Easter Eggers are such nice birds.

Welcome, glad you joined us.

EE were a breed I wanted, but didn't get. Will be jealous of your egg colors. Good luck with your new flock.

Back
Top Bottom