1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hello! Excited new chickie owner!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Loekasp, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Loekasp

Loekasp In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    South Jersey
    Hello everyone!

My name is Loewe. First I'll start by saying how excited I am to finally be apart of the backyard pet chicken owning world! I have wanted chickens all my life, but growing up in the suburbs where they weren't allowed kept me from getting them. And yes, I did often contemplate trying to have a few secret ones, but their loquacious ways kept me from it cause my very anti animal neighbors definitely would have turned me in, sadly.

So my journey began when my boyfriend of over two years suggested we look into getting chickens due to my very large daily intake of eggs as a joke because I am gluten free so I don't have a huge range of food options. Needless to say I was ecstatic! ( I don't think he realized how much I would run with this. Hehe) He is a huge animal lover so with little convincing I started researching farther into it.

Within a couple months we purchased a large coop and run equipped to house 10-15 chickens. We decided we would start with six to see how it went and if we wanted more in a couple years we could do so (I already want more so I am happy we went with a larger coop!) Then we looked into breeds and chose golden laced wyandottes, silver laced wyandottes, and Australorps because we wanted good laying breeds that were cold and hot weather hardy that were cuddly and pretty. Because my boyfriend had been so supportive of my growing chicken addiction I wanted to get him a chicken of his own so I also ordered a blue white crested polish half because I fell in love with their look and half because I wanted to get him something that stood out.

We got our chicks a couple weeks ago and couldn't be more thrilled! We both are absolutely in love with them and love watching their personalities grow and mature. Plus what is cuter than itty bitty balls of fluff! My boyfriend is obsessed with his polish and was very excited that he had "his own" chick to play with. I can't wait to see where the rest of our pet chicken journey takes us! We already talked about possible chickens for the future! I think it is safe to say we are hooked and will have chickens for the rest of our life.

I would love to meet people on here that will understand my new obsession because I'm pretty sure my family and friends think I have gone insane! So please please talk to me!

Loewe

Here are some pictures of my new babies:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Trust me when I say this, we are ALL addicted to chickens and thoroughly understand how to become obsessed with them....OCD...Obsessive Chicken Disorder...we all have it here!! [​IMG]

Very cute flock you have! They are just adorable. [​IMG] Feel free to show off your babies, pics, stories and talk to others about there birds in our Pictures and Stories section of our forums....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/39/pictures-stories-of-my-chickens

Make yourself at home and if you have any questions about anything, that is what we are here for.

Enjoy those babies and welcome to our flock!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

We all share the same addiction here: CHICKENS! You are not alone!

Love you flock!

4. Loekasp

Loekasp In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    South Jersey
    Eeeee! Thank you! Glad I'm not alone! I knew this would be the place to go!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Very adorable chicks, great pictures!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Crazy chicken ladies and gentlemen are norm here - no problem. You have some beautiful chicks - the close ups make them seem huge - I know they are not.

7. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC where all the chicken obsessed hang out! You'll fit right in. Love the pictures, your birds are very cute.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Loewe! Glad you decided to join our chicken obsessed flock. Great introduction and pictures. It's always exciting to get your first flock. You chose some good, hardy, dependable breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Good luck with your flock.

9. Arcadia Chicken

Arcadia Chicken In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Windham, Maine
    Welcome! Its very easy to catch OCD..... My wife has started to call me the chicken whisperer :)

10. Loekasp

Loekasp In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    South Jersey
    Mat (my boyfriend) has also been called chicken whisperer by his friends! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by