Hello Fellow Chicken lovers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by taverot, May 12, 2011.

1. taverot

taverot New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I am new to this whole forum thing...hopefully I can figure it out!
    I have been raising chickens for a little over a year and LOVE it!! They always keep me entertained!
    My question is this.... My girls have started to lay their eggs in random places and not in their nests? I let them out of the coop to free range during the day, but put them back in at night. I leave the coop open so they can come and go as they please. I just aquired a rooster (we were told it was a hen..but he grew up and cockadoodle dooo... he isnt a hen!! So...now that he is mature... i keep finding my eggs in crazy places...which means where as I used to have so many eggs I was giving them away...now we have to be stingy with them and have no extras to share.
    So... what could be the cause of this random egg laying... is it the rooster, are they bored with the nests, is it just a chicken thing??? Thanks...

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] Not sure on the egg thing, but maybe if you lock them in their coop a few days at least until they are done laying for the day they will remember where they are supposed to go.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I recommend you put them in lockdown in the pen for a week as a refresher for them where to lay their eggs. If you cant find their eggs, they either have a good hiding spot or predators are eating the eggs.

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!! [​IMG]

5. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Good advice above and welcome to BYC!

6. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    I'd go with the advice already mentioned so far. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] from Georgia!

7. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    ditto [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

8. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    [​IMG]

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! You have come to the coolest place on the internet for chicken knowledge.

I started with chickens last summer and the people of BYC have been great. This year I have tried hatching and buying chicks for even more chickeny joy. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Great advice given. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by