Hello fellow chicken pickers!

Erin Apple

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2017
For those of you who got that I Love Lucy chicken picker reference, watching that episode as a child is one of the many reasons I'm now the proud owner of a backyard coop and four (soon to be five) hens!

I decided to set up a backyard coop when we bought our house about a year and a half ago, and just over a year ago after building the coop with my husband and getting our permit I set out following a Craigslist ad to get three hens. I came home with four. This past weekend we just finished a coop/run expansion and this weekend I'll set out to bring home #5. My permit only allows five hens, and I'm happy I have this limit, as chicken math is obviously real!

I have a mixed flock (all about 1.5 years old) of one sweet buff orpington named Hazel, one curious barred rock named Eleanor, one crazy white-crested blue Polish named Sophia and one shy Easter egger (who lays brown eggs) named Ethel.

In my day job I'm an educator at a science museum, and my other pride and joy is my Maine coon cat Arthur. I also have a rescue dog, a freshwater aquarium and a corn snake. I like to kayak and am working on making and selling crafts right now, but my backyard chickens are my dominating hobby at the moment! I just started selling eggs, mostly to coworkers, and it's going very well - so I plan to adopt an adult Ameraucana hen this weekend to slowly integrate into our flock and add some blue or green eggs to the mix! (I'm thinking Clarabelle would be a good name.) I would love to hear everyone else's story! :)

Welcome to BYC, and glad to have you here. I just read the thread above yours, and they have an adult hen who decided to move to their yard. She lays blue eggs, LOL, and she wants to re-home it. Too bad you don't live near each other. Here is her thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/acquiredchicken.1203943/

Welcome to BYC, and glad to have you here. I just read the thread above yours, and they have an adult hen who decided to move to their yard. She lays blue eggs, LOL, and she wants to re-home it. Too bad you don't live near each other. Here is her thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/acquiredchicken.1203943/

That is just too funny!! It would be awfully convenient if I had that same problem, and a blue egg layer just showed up and moved in!

G’Day from down under Erin Apple :frow Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom