Hello Fellow Cluckers

Welcome Here! I have predators too. Coyote (even during the day), fox, hawks, etc. I placed my coops and runs under the oak trees. Mostly for shade, but it works to deter hawks too. I had to fence my free range area because of coyotes too. I have a wonderful rooster, Harvey, that will sound the alarm when he sees danger in the skies. The hens listen and run for the cover of the runs! Most of the time it's just a turkey vulture, but, hey Harvey is doing his job. I have never lost a chicken to a hawk yet! Good luck with your girls!

chicken run and coops under oaks.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Building a large safe run is always a good option and free ranging with supervision helps protect them. Before I had a large run, I hung poultry netting circus tent style over the fenced gardens to keep them safe.

Good luck and welcome to our community!

Welcome Here! I have predators too. Coyote (even during the day), fox, hawks, etc. I placed my coops and runs under the oak trees. Mostly for shade, but it works to deter hawks too. I had to fence my free range area because of coyotes too. I have a wonderful rooster, Harvey, that will sound the alarm when he sees danger in the skies. The hens listen and run for the cover of the runs! Most of the time it's just a turkey vulture, but, hey Harvey is doing his job. I have never lost a chicken to a hawk yet! Good luck with your girls!

View attachment 2083452
Great to hear. Thank you for sharing. I desire a rooster

Back
Top Bottom