Hello fellow friends of chickens!

Fiwi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
Maryland
While on vacation this summer, my children and I are raising 3 chicks that will be introduced to my husband's Aunt's flock when they're old enough. We have an Araucana, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and a silver spangled Hamburg. I've always wanted to have a few egg-laying chickens, but my neighborhood in MD has a strict covenance against it. I am considering, however going outlaw. Another friend here in Maine has offered us 2 silkie hens and I really want to take them home to MD with us (they be 6 weeks old when we leave ME). We'll be moving in a few months and I'm wondering if I can keep them under wraps until the move. We have 2 side yards with 8' fences. I've found a great deal on an Eglu that's still in the box (just have to find someone to pick it up for me in upstate NY).

What do you think? Am I crazy to try? I've read that Silkies are quiet, but not sure exactly what that means.

Looking forward to becoming a full-fledged member of the forum.

Best to All,
Melissa

Quote:
I say go for it!! As long as you only have hens and (I try to al least) rake up a bit when necessary, I don't think your neighbor would even notice. By the time anyone could even get a notice to you, you'd probably already be gone. I wouldn't worry about only 2. Good luck and welcome...(I'm just a new egg too!)

welcome-byc.gif
and a nice hello from Indiana

Back
Top Bottom