hello form East Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jcollins, May 26, 2016.

1. jcollins

jcollins New Egg

May 26, 2016
    hi my name is Jason i am form East TN area and just got into raising chickens 12 weeks ago.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jason

Glad you could join the flock! What breed/s have you started out with? Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help you. Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. jcollins

jcollins New Egg

May 26, 2016
    Thanks, im still trying to figure out what breeds i have. i have a thread going https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1109110/help-for-a-chicken-nubie/10#post_17070891 to see what everyone thinks. but i know one of them is a cornish x and the other two are believed to be silkies but i think the jury is still out on that one.

So here is a bit of story for you, i knew absolutely nothing about chickens when my wife talked me into purchasing three cornish x and three assorted bantams. These were all of the selection our local TSC had at the time. and the staff there seemed to know about as much about these chickens as i did. we had no intentions in eating our birds and still dont but we wanted eggs, so i did some research on the internet about what birds i had and come to realize that the cornish chicks we got would have a very short life whether we ate them or not and 12 weeks later 1 of the 3 has made it so far and the last one dont look so good. so personally i will never buy meat chickens again. as for the 3 bantams i got 1 of them didnt make it 1 week and i believe it was a runt it never hung out with the other chicks just kind of kept to its self and eventually died im not really sure of what. but the other 2 are still going strong. but after photo comparison i came to the conclusion they looked alot like slikies although i was never sure, until i joined here and everyone is saying they are silkies. so i did some research on them as well and figured out they are not for laying eggs either mainly to keep as pets or show birds witch is all fine and dandy but here i am wanting to keep egg layers i have been looking into ordering some but im not sure which to get and online ordering is so expensive if you just want like 6 chickens and i am not really interested in getting day old chicks and raising them i really dont have time for all the attention they need. so far im interested in the Rhode island reds but thats about as far as i have got i still dont know much about chickens so any tips or help would be awesome

5. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Hello from middle Tennessee! I found this list AFTER I had already gotten my chickens :he

You should be able to message any of them through BYC and see what's available. My friends got some guineas from a local breeder as well as numerous chicken breeds. They spoke very highly of her. I will definitely be looking at local breeders versus the feed stores for adding to my flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/tennessee-breeders-page-west-middle-and-east-tennessee

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Jason, nice to meet you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by