Hello fowl lovers!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LeungHomestead, Jan 2, 2017.

1. LeungHomestead

LeungHomestead New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi my name is Bethany,

I am new to fowl keeping. So new I don't even have a bird yet! I am a planner so I am on here to get much needed advice. My plan is to get 8 ish laying hens and 4 Muscovy ducks one a drake. I want chickens for laying and duck offspring for meat. I live in rural VA and want to turn our house into my own little homestead. I have two kids that I homeschool and one husband in the army.
    I love to garden and am planing on planting a small orchard and raised garden beds using a permaculture/ food forest style. The plan is that the birds will have limited supervised visits. Ok I think that covers an intro to me pretty well.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Bethany, welcome to BYC. Start by clicking on the 'Learning Center' at the top of the page. Then go to the forums and study away. Plan and prepare and you will be set to start in the spring. Good luck.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Bethany

Glad you could join us here! It sounds like you have some wonderful plans there :D I'm sure you will enjoy your new adventures very much and keeping chickens/ducks sure is a great hobby the whole family can enjoy. Our learning Center is a great place to check out with lots of very helpful articles. Please do pop by ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC Bethany!

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

6. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bethany, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Bethany [​IMG] Welcome!

Best wishes with your venture into homesteading.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Bethany, thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by