Hello from a BYH member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TwinWillowAcres, Oct 8, 2012.

1. TwinWillowAcres

TwinWillowAcres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    I am known as "SheepGirl" on BYH and I have a flock of sheep. Right now I don't have any chickens and I've never raised chickens before. I do work at a farm (it's only for a month, though) and I clean up after chickens/turkeys/guineas/ducks and I help with incubating/hatching and caring for chicks and adults. I was on my FFA chapter's poultry judging CDE team and I got 5th overall and I also did 4-H judging and got 14th in live birds and 14th in carcasses, 1st in eggs, and 13th overall. So I did pretty good :)

I am into production oriented agriculture and we have to feed the world so why waste resources on inefficient critters when you can use the same resources more efficiently with other breeds? That's my view on things so I hope I don't get yelled at for that. [​IMG] So when I get chickens I would like to get white leghorns and/or red sex links. I also just want some white rocks as a project to increase carcass quality and growth rates yet maintaining decent egg traits (I know, kind of hypocritical on my part as far as efficiency goes--but hey, I'll have the leghorns to balance it all out :D).

I love BYH and I figured it was time to join BYC as I will (eventually) have my own flock of chickens to hopefully make a profit off of.

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Hello! [​IMG] And [​IMG]! I am super excited and happy that you joined! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I am considering being a BYH member, too.

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    well good for you. :) sounds like ya got a plan. were planning on getting a couple of sheep and a milk cow or 2

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Nice to see you over here too!
    We've always had red sex links, they're a fantastic breed for eggs.
    Very, um, charismatic as well :lol:
    Good luck with your flock!

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    what is BYH ?

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, "SheepGirl", and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Hope you get yourself some chickens really soon - BYC will be here to help if you have questions. Best of luck!

9. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hi, welcome to BYC from Kentucky.

[​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by