Hello From A Future Chicken Owner!

ArtemisV

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Hi people! My name is Amber.

I've recently moved back to Lincolnton, North Carolina, in my Grandma's house (she passed away several years ago). We're outside city limits and we have a decent sized backyard. About four months ago I decided that I wanted chickens, first because I falsely believed that it would save us money (I found out on the internet that it will not). Even then, for some reason I still wanted chickens and now I know why. It would make me feel self sufficient and it's a new learning experience. I've always wanted to be on a farm, and while I haven't yet gotten that wish, we are going to have chickens and a garden so I'm happy. I love animals and I've heard chickens have the best personalities.

Our financial situation had me believing that it would be a while before I was able to get Chickens because of how much coops cost to build or buy, however I've come up with a solution (I hope) which is why I've decided to go ahead and introduce myself here!

I'll explain my idea in the coop and run section, so look for me there! Nice to meet you all. Any chicken related resources you know of, feel free to post them here as I'm still gathering info!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!

Best of luck in your coop search. Might I suggest going to local small animal auctions? Sometimes people sell hutches and coops there as well. Sanitize and a little spiffing up and I got a 5 bird coop for $50, all it needed was 1 plank of wood and a little scrubbing!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Don't forget Craigslist and Freecycle type places for stuff that can be re-purposed for chickens.

Nice to meet you. Twice a year their is a 'chickenstock' in your area and you will be able to meet some nice chicken folks.

Back
Top Bottom