Hello from a lurker!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Idess, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Idess

Idess New Egg

May 14, 2012
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hey everyone!
    I've been browsing BYC for a long time now, but this is my first time posting :) I go by Idess online and I live in Northern Colorado with my boyfriend, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 betta fish, and of course, 6 chickens!
    I was inspired to get chickens by Nambroth (a member here and a fellow artist) and got 6 chicks this last April, 2013! With the help of the amazing resources here my boyfriend and I built our coop from scratch and now are loving life with the girls!

We currently still have 6 chickens but not the same 6 we got as chicks in the Spring. We started out with 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 2 Blue Cochins, an Easter Egger, and a Buff Brahma. Unfortunately a 'perfect storm' happened one weekend in July when the chickens were out in the unfinished coop/run area and we were in the middle of re-building the fence around our property when a neighbors husky ran in and killed 2 of our favorite pullets :( Our favorite friendly Cochin was killed as well as our Brahma. The other Cochin ended up being a rooster (illegal in my area), and he ended up dying suddenly about 2 weeks after the incident. I ended up getting the rest of our chickens from local Craigslist ads, the first being an older Blue Ameraucana and a few weeks after that I brought home 2 young Speckled Sussex's. They're now all a flock together and growing big!

Right now our first chickens are about 8 months old and so far 2 have started laying and are giving us great eggs! I'm so happy to have backyard chickens and they make me smile every day. Thanks to you guys here on the forums and all the resources I was able to raise my girls healthily and happily! This is a great resource here and I hope to participate more in the community.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Did you know Nambroth (we call her "Fud Lady,") has a very popular thread about Derperella(the weird- salmon faverolles hen?

4. Allysha1990

Allysha1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2013
    St Malo, Manitoba
    Welcome, I was much the same as you, always reading things on here before I ever joined!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Hello from my fish! ( and me too!)

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Pretty chicken in your avatar :)

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Idess

Idess New Egg

May 14, 2012
    Fort Collins, CO
    Thank you! That's Pickle, our pretty SS pullet! I love your avatar too, look at that fluff! I'm really enjoying our SS's, they're a great breed.

I'm not surprised; I'm quite a fan of Derp myself, haha! I'll have to search around for the thread! :)

10. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by