Hello from a Mississippi chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by prissychickness, Feb 22, 2015.

1. prissychickness

prissychickness New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Mississippi
    Hi. I'm new to the chicken life. I want to do as much research as I can before I get my Wyandottes and Orpingtons. I have been truly blessed to have found this site! You guys are so knowledgeable about all this stuff. Thanks for letting me be a part of your wonderful community!

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Welcome from louisiana

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

Glad to have you join! I would love to see pictures of your Wyandottes and Orpingtons when you get them! How many do you plan on getting? Have fun raising chicks!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you have joined us.

Do visit the Learning Center articles, there is a lot of great info there.

Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

My 6 hens are nearly 2 yo and still are so much fun to have. Good luck with your plans.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our wonderful community.

You'll be getting two very nice breeds of chicken. I'm a particular fan of the Wyandottes, as mine have been very good layers, have had excellent temperaments, and have been quite hardy. Orpingonts are well known on here for being an extremely docile breed that make great pets, too. You may want to read more about those two breeds, here:

Wyandotte
    Orpington

Definitely take a look at the Learning Center for great information on keeping chickens: Learning Center Articles

And, if you can't find answers to some of your questions, just ask! We'll be happy to help in any way we can.[​IMG]

6. prissychickness

prissychickness New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    Mississippi
    Thanks guys! I put my order in for 2 buff, 2 blue, and 2 black Orpingtons. And I plan on getting a few silver laced, gold laced, and columbian Wyandottes from our co op. Hopefully this will be a good variety to start. From what I have read these breeds are pretty friendly and beautiful!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

You're getting some wonderful birds! Both Wyandottes and Orpingtons tend to be beautiful, productive, and hardy in various weather conditions. In particular, I've always loved Wyandottes, but Orpingtons are excellent birds, too.[​IMG]

Good luck with your future chickens! If you have any questions, just ask.

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Wyandottes and Orpingtons are both very good breeds; cold hardy and good layers of large, brown eggs. My children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) have always made lap pets of our Orpingtons. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Wyandottes and Orpingtons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by