Hello from a new quail mama!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pippy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Pippy

Pippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    I got my kids quail chicks for Christmas, and we are addicted to them. I went to the feed store meaning to buy chicken chicks, but all they had was quail chicks, and their cuteness and productivity (cots) sold me on them. So now I'm a proud mama of 8 one week old quail chicks.

A few questions (I've been reading this forum like crazy):

1. When they get closer to 4-5 weeks, I plan on slowly moving them out to the garage for awhile before moving them outside for good. Right now they are in the house in a large plastic tote bin with a heat lamp. Would a 2-3 foot high box be enough to keep them contained while in the garage, or will they fly out?

2. What does quail taste like? I've heard chicken. Do they taste the least bit gamey? I do not like gamey tasting meat at all. I plan on culling out the roos, not sure if I'll give them back to the breeder (she said I could trade for hens) or prepare them for eating. I'm really only interested in eggs.

3. Don't laugh, but is it possible to make money with them? From what little experience I have, and from reading here, it seems you're lucky to break even on them. I got them more for a pet/hobby, but hey, if I can make some cash on the side from eggs, why not?

Thanks!

2. Pippy

Pippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Oh, one more question:

How do they sleep? Will they roost like chickens, or huddle together in a box/nest? Right now they pile and huddle together. I'm trying to plan on what I should provide them once they're big enough to move outside. Thanks!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to the quail forums and BYC!

8 quail will need about 10 to 16 square feet of space. They also, as adults, should be kept 1 male to 4 to 7 females. So hopefully you can get your group to work out. :)

When you move them out into the garage, they will need a roof over their area as yes, they will fly out and you may lose them.

Yes, quail is a bit gamey tasting. Not as mild as chicken, but still good just the same.

If you have enough eggs to go around, some restaurants, especially the Mexican restaurants will purchase quail eggs. Quail eggs are a delicacy in some cultures.

Quail do not roost up at night, although mine do sleep up on things that are higher than the ground (I keep mine in aviaries and they love to sleep up on the RR ties along the edges. Never have they slept directly on the ground or in any branches that are provided. Quail are ground dwellers for the most part.) And they do not go into a coop unless trained to do so at night.

If you have the room, they do appreciate cut branches in their pen for that natural feeling, or if you have big spaces, a brush pile for them to laze around under. Quail prefer to hide under cover which is what they do it the wild when not looking for food.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  4. Pippy

Pippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Thank you so much, such a speedy reply too :)

I'm leaning towards doing the DL method, with roosts and sticks and hidey places, it seems nicer for the birds than wire (and less work for me). I'm in central Virginia, and live on the the edge of a forest, so I have leaves and bedding material galore. In fact, I still have oak leaves in various corners of the yard we still need to rake up.

Part of the reason I got 8 chicks was so I can cull out the roosters and hopefully have at least 3-4 hens left. I wasn't planning on having enough eggs to sell or anything, but the thought did cross my mind once I got the chickies home.

Thanks again for your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Good luck in your new quail adventures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by