Hello from a Newbee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by a1robancho, Jan 20, 2013.

1. a1robancho

a1robancho New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Currently in Fallbrook, CA
    Hello everyone,

I'm Alvin, who has long been interested in raising chicken for organic fresh eggs. I have been reading a lot about chickens and I didn't realize that there are so many to choose from. I guess I would be interested in chickens for newbees like me. Low maintenance, friendly, quiet, and produce brown eggs. Any thoughts?

Currently, I am in California. But because of work (US Marine), I will be moving to Washington. If there are laws for household pets like dogs and cats, I am sure there are some for chicken. I guess google doesn't know it all, that or there are just not any laws about chickens in Silverdale, WA. Does anyone know if there are any laws for backyard chicken in Silverdale, WA? Any Silverdale locals have chickens and know if there are laws for backyard chicken? I did the good and only found laws in Bremerton. They require license for up to four chickens only. OK, I am guessing because Bremerton is more city like. If anyone knows if the Bremerton laws apply for chicken lovers in Silverdale, please let me know.

Glad to be part of this awesome organization.

Thank you and I look forward for some feedbacks.

Alvin.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] fromm washington state glad you joined us!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I don't know very much about chicken laws in the US, except some places forbid them, some allow up to 4 hens, no roosters etc. each area seem to have their own laws. I think your best bet would be to ask in this section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

As for breeds, well, like you said there are many breeds to choose from and many of us, myself included, end up with more than one breed. If you look in the Breeds section here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

You'll get some idea and this chart here:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

gives info on their egg shell colour as well. Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I X2 the advice of sumi. Best of luck to you in your move and relocation and thank you for your service!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Most local government units have their own regulations. You may need to contact that unit directly.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Thank you for your service and lots of good luck with the move [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Alvin, welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by