1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hello from a soon-to-be chicken owner!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lorus6, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Lorus6

Lorus6 In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    East Texas
    Hello. We just moved to Pennsylvania from Texas and are preparing to keep chickens. Our 9 year old son is the instigator here! He has wanted chickens forever. My parents and my in-laws keep chickens (or have) and he has always loved spending time with the chickens, so for his 9th birthday we began preparing a place to keep a few.

We will be getting hens that are already started and ready to go in the coop and have been clearing out a fenced area that was originally used for ostriches. We are hoping to learn more about keeping chickens in a cold weather area as well as keeping the chickens safe from predators.

2. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lorus6, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! You can touch base with some PA folks to see the steps they take with their birds.

Here is the link - the PA thread is in there somewhere!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

With predators I urge you to invest in hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Best of luck to you!

4. locoguru

locoguru Chirping

Mar 28, 2013
    Welcome to BYC and hello from Menifee, Ca!

5. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chirping

Jun 14, 2013
    First off
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

How cold do you mean by cold? If you are dealing with freezing temp don't get single combed birds (i.e. rhode island reds, orpingtons, etc.). The points on the comb will fall off.

Is your coop area covered? You'll find that critters that are not even actually after the birds will climb fences and eat all your feed. Which can make chickens expensive. If your area where you put the feeders is not covered consider putting it locked away at night. This will also help to prevent animals that are coming to eat the feed from finding your chickens instead. I had animals eating my feed everynight out off my coop that I thought was secure. I think it's one of those things that have to be adjusted for your area.

I am glad that your son is interested in chickens! Have you thought about the 4-H program?

Any how I hope that this helps.​

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home. If at all possible get your son involved in 4 H. We need all the young fanciers that we can get.

7. Lorus6

Lorus6 In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    East Texas

Great Idea! Thank you. I am looking into that now!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Big difference in ostriches and chickens - for one thing the ostriches can really kick at predators - chickens not at all. They need a fort knox coop and run to be secure

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by